motobecane trouble

Ok I am very new to this.

I bought a moped when I was 15 years old. I was the coolest kid in school.

Well now 13 years later I decided to buy a moped again.

I've got a motobecane mobylette built in 1972.

Hehe the sucker is older than i am. Runs mint though great fun.

When i bought it

I have trble explaining this plse bear with me.

the pedals would spin freely for a few rotations then something would catch engaging the bike and i could pedal away and start the moped.

well now

the pedals only spin freely so i cannot start the moped. I am pretty fat and lazy. I try running with it and hoping on but I often run out of breath before the moped starts. She still runs mint but i have to hang on to the side of a car and go half way around the block before I can go off on my merry way.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. winter is coming and i would like to get a few more good rides in before the snow flies.

Rob

Re: motobecane trouble

See Ya Moped Army /

You need to turn the lever on the large grey pulley in the opposite direction of the "V". Your lever may be stuck in between bicycle and motorcycle modes. The lever can be hard to turn, so you may need to spray a little WD-40 on the rear of the engagement mechanism on the back side of the pulley.

awsome i'll try right now

darn that got me ecxited

i just tried that out. the pedals will not engage in either setting.

Rob

I'm no expert, but it sounds like your clutch isn't engaging. Either take it in somewhere, or download an instruction manual and see what you can't do by yourself. Ask around before adjusting or messing with anything in the clutch though.

that lever should do the trick. If you take off the carb, you can get a fairly good look at the backside of the lever, there is a spring, with a hook, that needs to be attached to a doo dad (you will get what I mean when you see it) Mine has come detached before, It sounds to me like that is your problem.

I have a motobecane too... look behind the belt wheel...there will be a fork grabber. make sure that fork fits between the teeth ...you'll hear a click.

See Ya Moped Army /

<I have a motobecane too&#8230; look behind the belt wheel&#8230;there will be a fork grabber. make sure that fork fits between the teeth &#8230;you&#8217;ll hear a click>

That is an excellent point. I recently had to replace that whole lock lever assy because one of the "teeth" had rounded out and would slip off the drive gear.

A worn out "lock lever assy" would definitely cause the problem you are describing.

thx a lot guys i'll have to have a better look.

would anybody have a link where i could have a look at some drawings or plans?

Rob

See Ya Moped Army /

Part #2 on the diagram could be the problem part on your Moby. If one of the two "teeth" on this assy are worn out sufficiently, it will not lock on the gear teeth and prevent it from staying in the engine mode.

1099221569_motobpulleytext.jpg

The lock lever is tricky to get back in moped mode if you can't see it. Are you using the decompression lever? Is your belt worn?

ok i'm going to bring her into the house and work on her after christmas.

thx for the help

Rob

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account