Motobecane Popping

When i start up my motobecane, it pops 2 or 3 times then starts up fine and runs trouble free. Why is it popping?

Maybe ignition?

Re: Motobecane Popping

what do you mean by popping,be more specific

Like...

...rumblerumbleKindaLoudPoprumblerumble_LOUDPOP_rumble _LOUDPOP_rummblerumble....

Iiiiiiiii Died /

back fire pops?

Leon Swarmer /

my guess is timing

Leon

Jason Luther /

yeah, or bad plug. missfiring and letting unburned gas get into the exhaust and then backfiring.-jason

David Williams /

Is the pop like a squeaky pop? I had that problem and it was just my head gasket leaking. I removed the head gasket and i'm running without one now. Problem solved.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

if your gasket is blown you can make one out of a cereal box. when i tore my engine apart i found my gasket was blown so i made one, and low and behold it works great.

About using a cereal box. that is fine for a base gasket. but I would not try it for a head gasket. It gets too hot up there.

If it pops for a little bit, then runs fine, I do not think the problem is not serious enough to pull the engine apart?

i thought that had something to do with the decompression lever? are am I wrong dan,

Yeah, i'm guessing timing, becasue spark plug is good and i had my head off the other day and the gasket is fine.

Now, how do you adjust timing on a motobecane 50v?

If you are using the decompression valve to help you start, it is completely expected to get a few pops.

Do a search for setting the timing on motobecanes, there are a few good old threads on the subject. If it is running fine though, I would not do it.

Matthew Westberg /

Agreed, you might just be holding down the decompression too long. When mine runs fine, you'll get a back fire or two if you hold down the decompression too long at startup.

Allthough it sounds like a backfire, it is really a forward fire. It just sounds like a backfire coming out of the decompression valve.

man i had a feeling it was the decompression lever, my motobecane knowledge is slowly growing

Decompression lever is the most likely choice. Release as soon as the engine starts to turn and you hear the fump-fump-fump of the exhaust, or when your lights come on. The bike isn't supossed to run with the decomp lever pulled.

If you remove the head gasket do you need to adjust the timing any different than stock?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account