How to shorten a chain ?

Jackson Coppernoll /

Today I put my new wheel on, it had a 40 tooth sproket insted of the 45 that was on the other. So I was like cool a little more speed. But the chain was a little too long so even with the adjusters all the way in there was a ton of slack. I found the master link where the chain is joined together. But I was wondering how you take it off and remove a couple of links so I could put the 40t on.

Thanks, Jackson

Re: How to shorten a chain ?

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

you can get a cheap chain cutter at walmart for like $4 or a bike shop for under 10. If you get on of those it will tell you how to use it. its the easiest way to do it.

Don Pflueger /

you can grind the pins on the link you want to remove, or go to a bike shop and get a chain tool to press the pins out, they cost anywhere from $7-$20 depending on which type you buy. the nice thing about having this tool is..... if you make a mistake and cut your chain too short, you can add a link.

when putting your master link back on, remember this.

its extremely important that you put the locking clip on so that the rounded end faces the direction of chain travel. if you dont, and the chain rubs on something like a tensioner or roller, the clip will be pushed off leaving you stranded.

Don Pflueger /

if you buy the walmart one, get two or three of them. they break real easily. i have 3 or 4 of them that broke on bicycle chains the first time i used them. better off going to a bike shop and buying one made by park tools. they are the best.

Steve Murphy /

"its extremely important that you put the locking clip on so that the rounded end faces the direction of chain travel. if you dont, and the chain rubs on something like a tensioner or roller, the clip will be pushed off leaving you stranded."

I found that out the hard way=-(

Don Pflueger /

lol. sorry to hear that. to me its just common sense that you dont want the open end traveling in a way that will knock it off if it were to hit something.

Allen Murphy /

A--Get the Park tool for doing chain work--worth EVERY PENNY!

B--Carry an extra master link no matter WHAT--got stranded when my chain went, and could have driven home if I had a spare, but.........

Al Murphy

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account