Removing axle/greasing bearings Puch Mag

Jackson Coppernoll /

My 5 star mag wheel came in the mail today. Original spoke wheel that was on the bike with loose type bearings destroyed the bearings and axle. The mags are newer so they have caged bearings.

So I was going to take the axle out and grease the bearings on the replacement wheel before putting it on so it didn't get ruined in just a few days like the orignal. But I can't get the axle out of it. I have looked at the service manual on mopedriders.org but it has a poor description and no step by step photo just one exploded view.. Is it just old and I need to beat the crap out of it untill it comes out or what ?

Thanks, Jackson

Re: Removing axle/greasing bearings Puch Mag

yeah I am having trouble replacing my bearings, the wheels seem really loud and raspy so i wanted to either tighten them or replace them, i know there is a speacial wrench for tightening them, so maybe i should go to a bike shop

Jackson Coppernoll /

well I couldn't get the axle out by pulling it so I just sprayed some WD40 in there and put it on. Wish I could have gotten some new grease in there.

did you tighten it up at all, because my axle is really loose and moves around and when you spin it its really loud, there is a sort of nut on the end which i assume needs to be loosened with the speacial wrench, i ve been told that the mags have a sort of sealed bearing that needs to be tightened with a bearing wrench, i am actually really confused about what to do with mine, i have never had to replace a bearing,

David Williams /

I've got a 78' Maxi and I sort of did the same thing... a while ago one of my rear wheel bearings dissintegrated and ruined the axle too. I ended up buying a used wheel on eBay from a 79' Newport. Mine was easy to take apart though. Just remove the bearing nut on one side and pull the axle out. Degreased everything with some break parts cleaner and regreased all the bearings etc. Runs smooth as hell now. :-D

Jackson Coppernoll /

Cool, this wheel runs a lot smoother than the old one too. I took the nut off the motor side, and the spacer off of the pedal side. Then I pulled and pushed and tapped on it with a hammer but the axle didn't come out. I don't know if there is another step so I didn't beat on it too hard to fear of damaging something.

David Williams /

When the bearings in my old wheel came apart, things got pretty bad internally. The bearing nut ended up traveling all the way to the center of the axle, and totally ground the axle smooth. I had to beat the mangled axle out with a hammer... pretty hard.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account