Tomos & Puch Flywheel conversion

Hey all-

I've noticed that many of the flywheels found on mopeds are very similar, and the Tomos and Puch mopeds share many of the same parts. Will a Tomos flywheel fit onto a Puch? Has anyone traded these components?

Cheers,

Josh

Re: Tomos & Puch Flywheel conversion

I think they're the same Josh. I don't know too much about Tomos, but I think they both use Bosch (I know Puch does) electrical systems, so it should work.

BK

Re: Tomos & Puch Flywheel conversion

Timmy Southpark /

well, the problem is that bosch had different models of flywheels. I'm 99.9% sure they wont work, cause i believe one has a larger diameter. I have both styles and will double check in a minute.

Cant be done

Timmy Southpark /

yeah, i checked it out and the tomos flywheel is larger in daimeter (magnets) than the puch. You might be able to swap points plate and flywheel? Hope to help

Re: Cant be done

I wasn't sure if the would match up or not. I was pretty sure they used bosch, but there are some variances in the different bosch ones. Oh well.

BK

Hey James-

I don't know if you noticed or not, but did the Tomos flywheel snug up to the puch crank? I guess what I'm asking, is if the Taper is the same for both. If I can use a Tomos flywheel and plate, that would be awesome.

Cheers,

Josh

Timmy Southpark /

well, i think you could change the magnets on the flywheels, i meant the inner diameter is larger of a tomos, but the out side is about the same size.

rephrase

sorry to keep asking, I guess what I meant was, will the tomos flywheel fit onto the puch crankshaft? If it fits on the crankshaft, everything else is pretty easily modified.

Thanks,

Josh

Re: rephrase

Timmy Southpark /

i checked on it and it appears to fit on. I cant guarentte if you'll have problems with something esle though, like will the cover fit? You could try it, that is if you are good with points etc... cause i dont think the timing marks will match up. Are you going to try and do this? If so, is there a reason why, like is one better than another or does one have a different voltage? you know what would be cool is to take a newer tomos cdi setup up and put it on an older puch. let me know if you need me to check on anything else.

Awesome! That is exactly my plan. To graft a Tomos A35 electronic ignition onto my Puch Maxi. I did some testing to my bike after the races, and my ignition at higher RPMs wasn't so great. (and neither was my jetting) Anyways, we traced it back to the points, they can't keep up with the engine at 10k rpms. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Josh

Timmy Southpark /

hmmm, i think you have something there. Hey, let me know if you need some parts for that, i have some stuff to an a35 cdi, like the coil, plate, & flywheel--- (although thats in ruff shape). I have wiring too. But differently keep me up on that, i might try it cause i'm building a custom puch maxi.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account