Puch Maxi wont stay running

Ive got a 1977 puch maxi luxe that i picked up from some kid that wasnt running. I cleaned the carb a bit and checked a few other things, and i can get it to run but only by twisting the throttle a lot when i start it. The only way to keep it running is to keep it reved pretty high. It wont idle at all and is barely rideable. What could be causing it not to stay running. Ive messed with the points, idle screw, and just about everything else. The only suspicous thing is that the spark plug in it doesnt seem to be close to the right kind. It still fires up though so i have no idea

THanks

Mike

Re: Puch Maxi wont stay running

See Ya Moped Army /

When you said that you cleaned the carb a "bit", what does that mean? The carb needs to be fully disassembled, soaked in carb cleaner and then blown out with compressed air. The main jet also needs to be cleaned out thoroughly. What is the condition of the inside of the gas tank? Is it rusty? If so, there's probably a lot of junk in the petcock restricting fuel flow.

Iiiiiiiii Died /

mike have u gotten it the rite plug?

yeah im going to buy a new plug( The right kind) tomorrow and ill see how if that fixes it

Iiiiiiiii Died /

lol it should help or u maybe keep it running if its manual and tune it

Timmy Southpark /

Yeah, make sure the carb is nice and clean. Its not a bad idea to get new air cleaners, and de carbonize the exhauset and ports. Also, maybe it could use a new set of points/ condenser. Make sure to check the compression, get new gaskets and rings if necassary. Hope that helps.

you also said you "messed with the points"

you might have un-gapped them

i'de clean and set them again

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account