how does the transmission work?

Liberty Straney /

so i got my riverside running and but it doesn't want to go over 2 mph so i was wondering how the transmission works in a moped and if that could be where the problem is...what are some common moped transmission problems?

Re: how does the transmission work?

Iiiiiiiii Died /

is ur carb set right does it have a new plug exhaust clogged??

Liberty Straney /

yeah i just got the carb set right, brand new spark plug and i just cooked the exhaust pipe and cleaned the exhaust port. i am kinda learning as i go and don't know anything about the transmission yet...

Iiiiiiiii Died /

hmm not sure then i dont mess with trannys very often i usualy just mess with dirt bike trans

Steve Murphy /

I'm not familiar with your bike, but most moped transmissions are pretty simple, one speed affairs.

On most mopeds, drive is taken off the crankshaft through a centrifugal clutch assembly. There's different variations in how these work, but essentially you have a clutch drum that connects to the gear drive (that connects to your chain sprocket), a "swinging weight" that connects to your crankshaft, and a friction drive system (either disks or shoes), also connected to the crank.

As the engine speed increases, centrifugal force causes the swinging weight to apply pressure to the friction drive, which rubs against the clutch drum. At idle, there isn't enough force to apply much pressure to the friction "pads", so they slip against the clutch drum. This allows the bike to come to a stop without killing the engine.

As speed increases, so does the pressure of the weight against the "pads", until eventually there's enough force to "lock" the friction "pads" to the clutch drum.

Attached to the clutch drum is a gear that engages with other gears (on a half shaft) to reduce the speed of, and increase the torque available at the chain drive sprocket.

This is a very basic description of how it works, every brand seems to have their own way of doing things, but the elements are all about the same.

If your engine is turning at high RPMs but not providing much power to the wheel, your clutch is slipping. This can be due to worn friction surfaces, broken springs, and a few other things. If you have a shop manual for the bike, you'll probably be able to figure it out.

Iiiiiiiii Died /

doomzoom is your engine making noises? i dont think its the tranny are u sure u have everything set right? listen to hear for a click when its running bcus most likely if its not making noises its running fine not certain but im pretty sure , check and be positive that the carbs clean points r seat right its the right plug and the normal procedure , lmk if any tips work

Liberty Straney /

i'll check everything over again this weekend...that description of the transmission gives me astarting point. i'll start with this and hopefully get it figured out. thanks guys.

Jason Luther /

you have to make sure you have 30w non detergant oil in the trans. i put type f trans fluid in there by mistake and it wouldnt work. the right fluid makes all of the difference. does the engine rev high when you give it gas? or does it feel like its bogging waayyyy down? -jason

Leon Swarmer /

have you checked your timing? it can make alot of difference, too.

Leon

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account