Not really a moped

Bobby Frankenberger /

Alright, here's the thing. I know that what I have isn't exactly a MOPED, per se. It's actually a motorized scooter. It's a Hitong model: hit49st.

What happened was that I just newly acquired this thing, for free. I've never dealt with these things before, and don't know much about it. Many things are wrong with it, but the main thing is that the gas doesn't seem to be taking properly. I have a feeling that the fuel flow is clogged (based on what I've read. Like I said, I don't know much about it). When I drive it the gas doesn't take all the way. It sounds like it is sputtering and it feels like it takes a little bit of gas, jumps forward a little bit, then takes a little more, etc... rapidly. It sputters. Like I said, I think it's a fuel flow problem. This is the best place I've found to look for some help on how to get started fixing this thing up. Any help, please?

Re: Not really a moped

See Ya Moped Army /

Clean the carb, especially the main jet.

Don Pflueger /

get a new spark plug, clean out the carb, and clean out the exhaust. and.... get some compression readings.

Bobby Frankenberger /

This will probably sound elementary to you... but where do I find the main jet? and how would you recommend cleaning it?

Bobby Frankenberger /

Are spark plugs all the same?

And also, how do I clean out the exhaust?

Don Pflueger /

the main jet will be in the bottom center of the carb body once you remove the fuel bowl. use a small piece of wire and poke it thru every hole youcan find in the carbs body, and all its parts.

Don Pflueger /

no they are not. you need to get the one that is designed to work in your engine. most exhausts have a cap on the end that comes off or slides out for cleaning. if not, you need to build a really hot fire and roast the exhaust pipe until it turns red, then bang the carbon and soot out of it.

Re: Not really a moped fuel supply

Leon Swarmer /

Some snails have vacuum fuel supply instead of gravity like a ped..

I've never worked on one, but that is something to look for.

Have you taken the fuel line off the carb too see that fuel is running freely to it?

Leon

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account