Need Moped Mechanic - In Chicago - I surrender!

I GIVE UP!

I own a Jawa Model 207 moped that at one point a few months back was a damn fine machine that ran like a top. One day I parked it next to the house and the next day she refused to run. She has continued to deny me ever since.

I can now take the carb apart in my sleep (as I have dreamed of doing exactly that) for all the times I've done it. Gasket seal is on the intakes in case of air leak. Good spark from Tranzimo and compression blows thumb out of hole. Pet cock is not problem as I have removed it and fitted a straight fuel line to the carb (flow is excellent).

I am at the end of my rope with the bike and it's such a clean moped. It really did run nicely I swear.

So the short of the story is does anybody in the Chicago-land area know of a moped repair shop or someone who's willing to lend their services to me in exchange for monetary compensation. I will travel to get the damned thing fixed though I don't want to pay a whole lot if possible (I only paid $60 for the frick'n bike).

Help would be very appreciated. THANKS!

Re: Need Moped Mechanic - In Chicago - I surrender

???

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Contact Peddy Cash!!

Thanks for the tip - I've e-mailed them.

Jason Luther /

okay. did you replace the spark plug?

Steve Murphy /

Yeah, let's see if we can figure this thing out before you pay someone else to do it.

First, what happens when you try to start it? Does it try to run at all, or is it just DOA?

It ran fine until you parked it? Did it rain that night?

Is fuel getting to the cylinder? Is the plug getting wet?

Given what you've said about everything you've done, it might be time to get a compression guage and take a measurement. I think I paid about $30 for mine a few years ago. Even if you never use it after this, owning it will impress your friends, and might even get you laid. If that happens, it'll take your mind off the Jawa for a while.

But seriously, the thumb thing only tells if it's really hosed big time. If your rings or bore are just plain worn, you could easily have enough compression (say 100 psi) for a thumb pop, but not enough to run, or run well. You should have 120-150 PSI.

it might be time to get a compression guage and take a measurement. I think I paid about $30 for mine a few years ago. Even if you never use it after this, owning it will impress your friends, and might even get you laid. If that happens, it’ll take your mind off the Jawa for a while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LMAO!!

Good one, Steve!!

Steve Murphy /

My pleasure.

Will it fire on a squirt of quick-start?

Where in Chicago do you live? Im between Morris and Joliet, I would give you a hand if you're not too far. I go to Evanston every once in a while - are you on the way?

hey i could try to give you a hand some time... do you live in the city?

All right Steve - I did get my hands on a compression gauge.

I borrowed it from a buddy who has not (as to date) gotten lucky as a direct result of owning it but we'll see how I do with it.

Lovin' aside - the gauge proved my original claim that the damn thing runs like a top.

145 P.S.I.

That's even better than my Garelli Rallysport that clocks at 35!

So again I am at a loss.

The bike does try to start - right up until you crank the throttle at which point it just put puts and dies within about 5 seconds.

I'm not sure if the plug is getting anything - I didn't check that.

For all those kind and helpful enough to respond to my request for help I live about 4 blocks from Midway airport and the SOB's fly right over the house (There are cracks in the ceilings to prove it). I will gladly travel to Joliet/Morris and yes I am on the way to Evanston - though I wold even be willing to meet there if convenient.

Thanks for the replies I really do appreciate the help. Looking forward to additional insight.

Steve Murphy /

Keep that gauge for as long as you can, you never know...

Sounds like you've got help on the way. Great!

Let's ponder on this thing for a few minutes... You say it starts, but dies when you crack the throttle. Will it stay idling if you don't give it the gas, or will it still puke?

145 is about as good as it gets, so we can eliminate compression as a problem. That leaves fuel, air, spark.

You sound confident that the fuel system is OK, I'd just double check that fuel is getting to the cylinder by cranking the engine over for a few seconds with the ignition off, then pulling the plug. It should be wet, almost drippy. If that's the case, and you trust your work on the carb and sealing leaks, that leaves air and spark.

Air is an easy one, are you getting the same symptoms with or without the filter? Does applying the choke make any difference? Other than leaks and clogged filters, this is pretty easy to eliminate as a suspect.

That brings us to ignition, which, given that the bike ran until it was parked outside overnight, is a pretty likely culprit. Make sure the wiring and all connections are clean and tight, burnish the points contacts (use a burnishing tool, or carefully clean them with a small, fine "nail file"), Make sure all the connections to the stator plate are sound, and double check the run/stop switch. Of course, check the high voltage lead and the spark plug cap, and the spark plug.

I have a hunch that, even though you're getting spark, something is erratic in the ignition that's causing the spark to be too weak to fire the fuel/air mix.

Go to my website I may be able to asist you dude www.freewebs.com/kyle656/

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

From what I hear, just have got and air/fuel problem. If you spark is good and blue, it will be fine. Clean the points to make sure if you want. Its gotta be the air/fuel tho.

you yay have an air leak....

Steve Murphy /

Could be an air leak, but it sounds like he's checked that already. That and the deal with it not starting after sitting outside overnight make me think ignition.

I'm curious to see what it ends up being.

take the exhaust off then try it....

Jason Luther /

get a new spark plug

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account