tomos help

Timmy Southpark /

I know about freds guide and i'm gonna play with the engine some more, but any advice would be helpful. I have an 85 silver bullit and its not wanting to start. with just the blue wire attached to the coil it gets a weak spark, but when i hook the blue, yellow, to the coil it gets a lot stronger spark. Ok, i'm gapping it between 16-24thousands, and i have the points plate set to where the gap on the points starts to open right before tdc. It opens widest at the tdc. Should i advance or retard the points, set the gap differently or what?

Re: tomos help

Don Pflueger /

set the gap at .014"-.016".

how much compression does it have?

Timmy Southpark /

i dont have the tools to check compression. the rings look decent, never stuck. It doesnt have a base gasket, but thats because i'm getting ready to put new rings. I just want the motor to run before i put any more money into it. Are you sure the gap should be 14-16, cause the manual i thought said 35-45. I will try it there though. now, should i have the points open the widest at tdc?

Don Pflueger /

.014"-.016" is usually the standard for most peds. your engine probably wont run at all withouta base gasket. and just cuz the rings look good does not mean a thing. you cant see how muchoverall surfacearea of the ring is worn away. the best you can do is insert the rings in the middle of the bore and measure the rings end gap with a feeler gauge. i would say any gap bigger than .004"-.006" is worn out.

Timmy Southpark /

hmmm, cool. I'll put the base gasket on and see what it will do. The only thing is, it didnt even seem like the motor was evening doing anything, it has a spark, i believe the timing is good, and its getting gas (plus i tryed starting fluid). I thought it would atlest backfire. i'm try some more. thanks!

Don Pflueger /

without a base gasket, i doubt it will fire at all. but you will still need to get a compression reading. it needs to be 120 lbs or higher. put that gasket on and then try this.

spray carb cleaner in the carb throat and then try to start the engine. if it fires, you havea fuel problem. if it does nothing, you have either an electrical,or compression problem. so pull the plug and test for spark. try a new plug too. if you have good spark then you need to check compression readings.

Timmy Southpark /

yeah, maybe thats it, cause i'm getting an awesome spark, and my manual says gap 35-45, but that gets me a weak spark, so you have to be right 14-16. Thats where i'm getting an awesome spark. I'm gonna decarbonize the ports, and get new rings. I put the base gasket on and still i have nothing, sounds smoother though. I have set those points in five million different spots so maybe its time to look into compression. thanks

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account