need some info..

Paul Brassar /

I got two Puch maxis today. One is a 1979 and the other is a 1980. the 79 goes about 30+, and there really isnt any problems with it at all. I think this one is 2hp but i dont know for sure it isnt labeled. These are both 1 speed motors.

The 1980 goes only about 20 with some bogging. Also the 1980 has a picture on it that says 1.5 hp. Does this mean itll only go 20mph? Or does it need some tlc?

Also what plug do i need from NGK? and Since there two strokes i mix the gas at 50:1 with two cycle oil? Does both of these have a oil that needs to be changed? I read some where i need 8 oz. of atf fluid? If this is true where do i put it in? and where do i empty it.

Sorry lots of questions, i just dont want to run them to the ground.

paul

Re: need some info..

i can tell you as a general guide line that 50:1 is way too rich, you really want to mix at like 15:1 or 20:1 two stroke oil to gas.. what is the rule i heard, 2.5 ounces of oil to 1 gallon of gas, i think... i had to learn this the hard way, if you mix rich, you will have poor starting, smoky runnning, constrained performance, and eventually the plug will get fouled, you will start stalling out

i believe that there is a filling port near the top of the puch 1 spd gearbox that is stopped with a screw that accepts the atf, use a funnel or hose to basically fill it to the top, people who actually have a puch on hand might want to check me on this though

Paul Brassar /

ok got the oil mixture down.. Can anyone confirm where the atf goes? and answer the other questions I asked . thanks

paul

Seanc posted -

" 50:1 is way too rich, you really want to mix at like 15:1 or 20:1 two stroke oil to gas.. what is the rule i heard, 2.5 ounces of oil to 1 gallon of gas, i think…"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sean -

2.5 oz/gal is just about 50:1

15:1 is about 8.5 oz/gal.

15:1 and 20:1 are way richer than 50:1

The ATF goes in the hole on the right side engine cover, there is a flat head screw that you remove.

If it is a 1 speed the tranny holds 5.5 ozs ATF type "F" Drain hex nut is under back end of engine. Filler screw is a on side near bottom Slanted into the casing.

If it is a 2 speed (will have P U C H stamped into tarnny cover) it takes 9.5 ozs ATF type "F" Drain hex nut underneath engine. Filler plug on top of tranny case. DO NOT top it off or bike will be sluugish or may not move at all.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account