My replacement petcock blows goats

Matthew Westberg /

Okay the internals on my old Motobecane 50V petcock were all screwed up (they shifted and keep shifting, so I never know where Gas/Off/Res is unless I play with it) I ordered a new petcock form Moped Warehouse thinking my problems would be nicely solved, hah!

First of all, the new petcock came with no instructions. You'd think that wouldn't be a big deal since a petcock just screws in and out, but the replacement came with extra parts (washers & such) that I had to guess which way to put on. The petcock only barely fits in place, because the output pipe faces forward and not down (the original points down) moreover, the handle is big and in the way, and may not allow me to screw the damn thing in all the way. Finally, the letters on the valve handle don't seem to correspond to what the thing actually does. Closed and On seem to be the same thing (both drained the tank down to the bottom) and Reserve actually seems to be the off position. The damn thing leaks like CRAZY when I run it with the new petcock, so I just put the old one back on.

Anyway, this isn't to bitch about my shit new petcock but to ask if anybody has had a similar replacement and if you've got any suggestions, or if I should just return the damn thing and find something else (in which case... WHAT?).

Re: My replacement petcock blows goats

Are you sure they sent you the correct one ??

Dan Danner /

sounds like the one on mine ,its for a Peugeot. it works but the line is pointed toward the side cover.

Matthew Westberg /

It says so on the shipping box, and the threads ARE correct at least, but they might have. the petcock only came in a little plastic bag.

I can make it fit, but only just barely, and putting my side cover back on is a bitch.

If I still had a camera I'd take pictures.

See Ya Moped Army /

I got the same one from MWH and it works perfectly and is very high quality. You are not going to find an aftermarket replacement petcock that has the fuel flow in the same direction as the original petcock. The extra washers are to make the petcock orientation correct whenyou screw it on.

Matthew Westberg /

I don't mean to be dick, but if it's such high quality, why does it not fit (i.e. if I screw it in all the way tight it's at an unuseable diagonal angle), and why does it not seal at all (my tank would have emptied in maybe half an hour)?

Should the base of the metal washer cup face the petcock or the frame? I had it facing the frame (arrangement: Frame > rubber washer > curved washer cup >petcock). Should I get more washers and see if that works?

I mean, I'd be happy if it had an on position and an off position that were clear and it didn't leak.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account