Feels like the Chain is Loose

I have been having problems keeping my chain tight, but I do not think it is causing this issue. If I do not have the chain very tight, when the ped shifts (ip or down) is sounds like the chain is skipping. I just replaced both sprockets and he chain thinking that my issue had to be one of them, and they wee all a little worn. Although it is no longer as bad, it still skips. I noticed (when replacing the front sprocket) that the toothed piece (not sure what it is called) that drives the front sprocket was worn on the front edges of the teeth. I figured that was because the original sprocket was loose. The new one is mounted tight against it. Could this part be what is causing my issue? I do not see anything about replacing it in the manual. How do I do it?

Re: Feels like the Chain is Loose

If you have it too tight the chain could be slipping up the sproket and slipping, you have to have some slack.

It seems like the issue only happens when the chain is a little loose. When it is tight (more then likly too tight) it seems OK. I am goin to try starting out with it a little loose and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

Jeff

Don Pflueger /

from center point of a pin in the chain, you should have 1/2" play up and down.

1/2 is what I have now and it keeps skipping. I can not see what it is actually going on while I am riding it. As long as I don't get on it too hard its OK. If I am at full throttle and it shifts to 2nd gear it will almost always slip. If I let off, it seem to be fine.

Don Pflueger /

are you sure the chain is slipping and not the clutch? new chain and dprockets cant slip. are you sure its not inside the tranny that you hear? was the sprocket shaft loose in any way? i think you need to remove the right side engine cover and look inside that tranny. one more question, is the rear wheel spaced back exactly thesame amount on both sides so that the chain tracks in a straight line to both sprockets?

The sprocket shaft seems OK. I have no problem taking the right side apart if I need to. I just have no rear idea what I need to look for. I think the problem might be what I said in my first post. It was chewed up some.

As for the tracking, I am not sure if it is correct. I have been having a bear of a time keeping the adjusters from moving on one side or the other. From time to time when it does starts skipping, the chain winds up getting very loose. The weird thing is that the nuts are not loose. Could this be a tracking problem? How do I check the tracking?

Don Pflueger /

if the shaft is chewed up, it may vary well be the problem. inside the tranny you just want to look for anything out of the ordinary. chewed gears, wobbly shafts, i believe there is a chain inside the tranny, it may be bad too. tracking is easy.just eye ball it, and make sure both adjusters are set on the same marks and that the wheel is centered in the swing arm.

thanks for the info. I will check the tracking first and then take the cover off of the tranny and see what it looks like.

Jeff

haha telling him to take the tranny cover off. what a bad idea.

make sure you align it up right when yout put it back together.

Don Pflueger /

why is that a bad idea? if he cant find the problem outside, it may be inside. i can walk him right thru that tranny without even opening any of my books. its easy if your confident and have some mechanical knowledge.

It does not look like a big deal to me. I picked up the spring and gasket this afternoon. I made some changes to the rear wheel alignment and want to test it before I open up the tranny. The chain actually looked like it was twisting a little. I realigned the wheel to be better centered and the chain looked straight. The adjusters are not exactly the same on both sides now, but it appears to be more centered. I will test it tomarrow.

I am not sure, but my problem might be resolved. I noticed that in order for my rear wheel to be close to straight, my adjusters can not be even on both sides. The reason (I think) is that on the left side (facing the rear of the ped) there is a deeper groove (maybe 1/8" deeper) than on the right side. The left side has to be set further in then the right side for the wheel to be straight. I took it out for a ride and had problems with the chain coming loose and skipping(it may have been to loose to start with). I tightened the chain (maybe a little too tight now) and rode for a few miles without issue. This is probably the longest it has gone without it feeling like the chain is skipping. Now the roads are still a little wet and my rear tire is bald, so I could not get on it as hard as I usually do. I will test it out more later in the week or this weekend.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account