Peugeot 103 Runs, then Dies

I installed a brand new factory carb from moped warehouse last night.

Now the engine will start with one kick.

However, it only idles roughly for about 10 seconds and then dies.

When I give it some gas it runs faster for a bit, but the wheel doesn’t turn and then it dies.

The fuel flow is good. The spark is good. The choke is on. The headlight comes on halfway and flickers when its running.

Any suggestions???

Thanks,

David

Re: Peugeot 103 Runs, then Dies

Ben Van Zoest /

We assume the carburator is correct can the mixture be to rich? Let it idle and warm up don't touch the throttle and see if the idle screw affects anything first. What brand carburator?

You might need to make adjustments to the carborator.

Don Pflueger /

couple thoughts here. the headlight flickers? you may have a bad ground that is killing power to thecoil.

runs a few seconds then dies? restricted fuel flow. gas cap vent maybe?

wheel doesnt turn? something bound up or broken it the trans causing engine rpm to be dragged down til it stalls.

bad crank seal maybe? or leaking base gasket?

there's so many things you listed here its hard to pinpoint an exact cause.

OK, now I can't get it to run at all.

The new carb was made by Gurtner, and it's the stock carb for the Peugeot 103.

I am at a loss...there's a spark and the fuel flow to the carb is good.

Peugeot 103 Runs, then Dies

Make absolutely sure that the new carb is fitted all the way onto the intake, and tightened down very snugly. Test for an air leak with carb cleaner, while the engine is running. If you have one despite proper carb mounting, use liquid gasket on the intake before you put the carb on. Make sure you have the airbox on the carb, fitted properly too. Also, you may need to use the choke for a bit when you start it, before it's warmed up.

How would I know if I have a bad ground that is killing the coil?

When working on the bike today I noticed that when I put the petcock in the ON position, a few minutes later gas drips out of the muffler!

I think this is flooding the engine.

I'm pretty sure the electrical system is fine. There is a bright blue spark and the lights come on when I pedal quickly.

What should I do to the carb to keep it from flooding the engine with gas??

Thanks again,

Dave

OK dave. you said you saw gas leaking out the muffler... this is unlikely, but maybe your float inside the carb is sticking. I had a brand new carb once that did the same thing. After i took it apart i noticed a piece of Styrofoam was lodged inside the float bowl. (the Styrofoam came from the packaging it came in.

I checked the float and then reinstalled the carb. There didn't seem to be a problem. Gas still drips out of the carb. Also, I took the spark plug out to check the spark and it was wet with gas too (but it does give a nice spark).

Any advice?

Thanks,

Dave

Sorry...in my post above I meant to say that gas still drips out of the MUFFLER despite the float looking ok.

Ill do some research, but at this point I don't exactly know what the problem is.

It is hard to detect a stuck float by taking the carb apart and putting it back together again. It can stick after you assemble it. Did the float bind at all? Was the needle attached to the float not binding? Also, maybe it is floating, but still not cutting off the gas flow? That float should be adjustable. Can you slide it down at all? If it is not binding a lower float should help cut the gas off. Good luck.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account