can any one tell me whats wrong?

Morgan Walsh /

i just recently bought a 1977 puch maxi sport i have had for about two weeks and it was riding perfect but then just the other day while i was riding it died i thought oh maby its out of gas so i filled it up........that didnt work i started it on its kick stand and sounds very quiet too quiet then i give it barley any gas and the thing dies when i start it with the choke it seems fine and i give it gas the rev sounds great until the choke pops up then it just dies agian anyone got any ideas

Re: can any one tell me whats wrong?

sounds like you threw off a clot of rust from the gas tank and it lodged in the carb.

Basically clean your carb and you will probably be good.

Morgan Walsh /

thank you

I seem to be having the same trouble with my 79 hobbit, but I have taken my tank off and cleaned it and took my carb off and done the same. If you get something that works, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks

Rick

Steve Murphy /

Sounds like it's not getting enough fuel. Did you check and clean the petcock and Carb?

if the choke is closed and it sounds good until it opens up the it might be too much air and not enough gas

use an in line fuel filter.

i have a 1979 Honda Pa50 I "hobbit". and i have cleaned the petcock, carb, new sparkplug, new gas, everything. but i got it off this guy and it hasen't been on the road since 1993. So it just sat and sat in his garage. It's in great shape with only 2399 miles on it. But i have the same problem that you guys are having can anyone help me. It will idle and run ok with the choke. but will bog out at over 1/2 throttle and then will slowly loss speed untill no power. but the catb has a hole in it it has threads in it and air comes out of it and makes a little sound. but my extra card has a screw in that whole. so do i need it or not. ? Please help me!

Try putting the screw from the spare carb into the one on the bike.

If it works, you fixed it.

Take a look here on pages 72-75.

http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/honda/pa50sm/honda83pa50manual.pdf

Morgan Walsh /

what about me help me

Steve Murphy /

Like I said a few days ago, sounds like it's not getting gas.

Given that it died suddenly, first thing I'd check for is blockage in the fuel system; some crap from inside the tank may have plugged the line somewhere. Kind of like my arteries after that double cheeseburger, but that's another topic alltogether...

Pull the fuel line off at the petcock and check to see that the petcock is delivering a good flow in both "ON" and "RES". The fuel should stream right out of there freely. If that checks OK, take off the carb and clean it, the procedure has been discussed many times, so do a search for more info.

If all that doesn't work, at least you'll know you're carb is clean and your petcock works, so it's not a total waste of time. But, if you still have a problem, check for air leaks aroud the carb and intake tube. With the bike idling, spray a little WD40 around the gaskets, if the bike stutters or dies, you've found the leak.

Morgan Walsh /

thanks

Steve Murphy /

You're welcome.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account