carb cleaning vs rebuild?

Whats the difference between rebuilding a carb and cleaning it?

Re: carb cleaning vs rebuild?

Don Pflueger /

rebuilding it means you are replacing old worn or faulty parts such as needle valves and gaskets. cleaning means just that, cleaning.

where can those small parts be bought?

Steve Murphy /

mopedwarehouse.com, themopedjunkyard.com, and others.

Don Pflueger /

depends on what bike, and model carb you have.

what are some major signs that a carb needs a rebuild?

that it doesn't work

Don Pflueger /

on these engines, it usually wont start, or it wont idle. or acts like it is getting too much air.

See Ya Moped Army /

Some carbs no matter how well you try to clean them, cannot be salvaged. Particularly, ones that have a lot of white crusty, powdery materials in them. I have found that even the best carb cleaner cannot get that white stuff out. Even if you manage to remove the white stuff, the pot metal is usually eaten away. The only way I have found to remove that stuff is to use a dremel with a wire wheel attachment and grind the stuff off.

Don Pflueger /

ive actually boiled some in a pot of water on my stove to loosen up hardened deposits.

wow I never thought of that. is that safe?

Don Pflueger /

why wouldnt it be safe? the carb isnt full of gas anymore. as long as you dont leave it in there boiling for hours nothing can melt. ive done this with 30 or more carbs and they work fine.

but what would that do to the gaskets?

Remove the gaskets. Only boil metal parts. The carbs have to be taken completely apart to take off all deposits and/or to be completely cleaned anyway.

Don Pflueger /

you have the carb taken apart. there wont beany gaskets, just the carb body.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account