tools for yamaha QT50 and carb cleaning

I may be getting a Qt50 soon...what kind of tools will i need to get for it? whats in a decent "moped toolbox"? Also, I'll definitely need to clean out the carb...does anyone who's cleaned a Qt50 carb have any advice or a good list of steps to follow...also a good carb cleaner suggestion would be nice. Trying hard to get back on the moped bandwagon after a tragic theft.

Re: tools for yamaha QT50 and carb cleaning

Bill Switzer /

Tools to start with would be a screw driver set, (standard and phillips), metric socket set with ratchet, spark plug socket. Another good tool to have for the QT50 is a flywheel puller. As for the carb cleaning job, all you need for tools is a phillips screw driver and a can of gumout carb cleaner.

you dont need very many tools for the qt50. I own one myself.

Every thing on it is metric (its a japanese bike) The tools i use the most on it- 12 and 10 mm socket, and a philips screw driver. Thats about all :)

As for the carb cleaning- the carb on a qt50 is the simplest carb ive ever seen. There are only like 3 pieces that you take out of it to clean.

Take it all apart, and let all of the pieces sit ina container of gas (like a small coffee can) and let them soak for about 5-10 minutes. Then take it out, and use compressed air to blow thru all of the passages. Then re assemble

The qt50 is not the fastest bike around (27mph) but she will run for ever :)

If you have any other questions about the qt50, ask me, wayne, or just post it on the site

GOOD LUCK

Nick

Katie James /

thanks nick...is gas better/different than gumout?

you can use almost anything ot clean the carb

gum out is good as well

I just like gas because i have a lot of it, and its cheap- but gum out is good if you can get it

nick

Re: diagram and parts list for qt50/pw50 carb

Katie James /

hey nick, i found this for the pw50 and I thought it could be useful all around. its a diagram and parts replacement list for the pieces, i dont know how good the prices are, but the info is good:

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/parts.aspx

this is the same as the QT50 carb right?

Katie James /

well unfortunately the link doesnt go right to the exact page, but if you pick "motorcycle" then "1998" (or a close year) and then "PW50" it takes you there.

yes, that is the same carb

Nick

dont buy a brand new carb- it is a rip off

you shoudl either

- re build your own carb (this is what i would do if you got the pieces as long as the rest of the carb is in good shape and not missing parts)

or if you cant get the parts- buy a used one off of ebay. Or talk to Ziggy, Mopedlar, or Ike..... I know that Ziggy has a few qt50 bikes

Nick

I have the same prob with my qt-50...I already replaced the ignition coil...next i'm hoping its the charge coil...I have no more ideas and I'm getting frustrated...I also need a flywheel puller, is the one in the service manual the right one or did they mistaken put in a part number that doesn't fit the flywheel???? Also how much would this cost me?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account