Tomos Pedals

I am trying to replace the front sprocket on my 04 Targa LX but can't figure out how to get the pedal off of the shaft. I have the nut off of the bolt. Now what?

Re: Tomos Pedals

Don Pflueger /

thread the nut back on til the top of the threads are flush with the nuts surface then tap the pin out. once loose you can take the nut back off and push the pin completely out. putting the nut on protects the threadsas you tap on it.

That is what I thought I was supposed to do, but it does not seem to want to come off. I have been beating the shit out of it, and it will not budge. Any tricks?

Anthony Castellanos /

wd-40

Don Pflueger /

penetrating oil or heat.

I got it. I was using a piece of wood as a buffer between the hammer and the pin. I put some WD-40 on it and it still would not budge. I finally got pissed off and wacked it directly with the hammer and it flew out. I replaced the sprocket and the sprocket shaft seal with no further issue. Now I have to wait until tommarow to try it out. (its a little too loud to be drivng this late)

Thanks for all of the help!!

Jeff

Don Pflueger /

thats cool. that seal must not have been too hard to get out then?

I actually found 2 issues when i took off the sprocket. It was extemely loose and I could move the nut with my hand. The other issue was that the edges of the toothed colar (I think that is what it is called) were a little worn on the edges. I guessthat was from the sprocket being loose. I am beginning to beleive that the posts about Steve's Moed are correct. They are the ones that put this sprocket on for the kid I bought it from. Itshould not have come looose.

The seal was very easy to replace.

Don Pflueger /

yea thats why i warned you beforehand. someone in the general discussion forum said last night that most people posting in this forum know more than every mechanic at steves.

haha that was me!!!

true that.

you guys are way better. especially donp thanks for your help guys!

I have to agree with the donp stuff. This site especially donp have been great.

To defend Steve's a little. Cesar (the Mexican as I have seen him called) has given me some good pointers a few times. He seems OK. I would much rather do the stuff myself with the help of this site. I have seen how much Steve's charges for parts, I don't want to imagine how much his service charges are.

Don Pflueger /

thanks for the votes of confidence guys. i'm just passing on what ive learned over the last few years wrenching on peds. i like to be honest with people and i hate seeing anyone get ripped off. it pays me back like tenfold.

a good example.

this 80 year old woman down my street asked me to take a look at her old sears lawn tractor yesterday and give her an estimate to fix an oil leak. she had it at sears the previous summer for the same problem and they charged her $400+ to fix it. and its still leaking oil. so i went to her house and looked at it. it has the old 11 hp briggs engine in it. they are notorious for leaking on the front side of the engine oil pan. no fix for these is gauranteed because its a bad design flaw. i told her i could fix it for $100, but i couldnt gaurantee it would last more than 2 years. i didnt want to take her money.

well she called me up today to thank me for being honest and told me she went to home depot and bought a new tractor. then she said to come get hers. its like brand new, i'll just have to tear the engine down and seal it up as best i can. my personal tractor has the same engine and ive had to redo the pan gasket 3 times now in 9 years. i'm gonna give her something for the tractor tho. she needs a small walk behind mower, so i have a nice one i'm going to donate to her.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account