Replace cylander or bore it out?

I just bought a 79 motobecane, and I turned it over a few times and then it totally stopped moving all together. I'm 90% sure that it's seized and scratched up. I was wondering if it would just be cheaper and better in the long run to bore it out a little past all the scratches and put a new piston in, or if i should look for another cylander/piston

Re: Replace cylander or bore it out?

See Ya Moped Army /

You cannot bore out Motobecane cylinders. You need to replace it.

crap, guess i'm gonna have to start post in the buy/sell section. why not anyway?

Hey I am going through the same crap but I knew the piston and cylinder where damaged when I bought my Jawa. I just did not expect it to be so dificult to find the parts (don't forget Jawas are thee most dificult mopeds to find parts for) I think MoPedLar is right, you can't bore the cylinder out (I think it's aluminium) After going through this situation of replacing or reboring I chose to replace the whole top end. It's is not that expensive and can even be cheaper than a rebore with used parts. I have parts on their way from Czecksovakia in total my order was 98.00 euro about 175.00 Canadian or ? in US. Motobecanes are all over NorthAmerica finding new or used parts should not be difficult, may be you can find a 70cc kit. Check out E-bay-Moped Junkyard-Post a looking for parts on Moped Army.com.

Good Luck

are u positive that it is scratched and siezed?

take off your head gasket and pour in a little of oil then put the head on and turn it over .

i had the same problem it was just rele dry in and didnt want to move

well, I finally got the cylander off, and its not scratched much at all, there's just a chip in the lining, but with that I think it still needs to be replaced. Anyone have an extra motobecane top end that's in good conditoin that I can buy?

as in a cylinder head?

motobecaner

no, i need a cylander and piston. i also just found out that the rings weren't opening at all, they are tight closed, so i think the piston turned sideways a little so it scrapped all in there.

no, i need a cylander and piston. i also just found out that the rings weren’t opening at all, they are tight closed, so i think the piston turned sideways a little so it scrapped all in there.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account