Big speed drop

Red Larsen /

My 2001 TTLX dropped from a top speed of 43 to 30-35. The acceleration has also decreased. The carb has been cleaned, the exhaust port isnt clogged with carbon, and the biturbo is only about a month old so i think its ok. It had a fuel leak due to a crack in a fuel filter in the gas line. After replacing that it still made no difference. What could it be?

-Red

Re: Big speed drop

Leon Swarmer /

have you tried a new sparkplug?

Don Pflueger /

when you installed the bi-turbo, what jet did you put in thecarb? you may be too lean and the cylinder iswearing outfast. how much compression do you have?

new sparkplug!!

like 5 dollars at a hardware zone

Don Pflueger /

$1.29 at wal-mart

Red Larsen /

Yeah, ill try a new spark plug, what size jet would you recommend?

-Red

Red Larsen /

o yeah, and what spark plug should i get?

thanks

-Red

Don Pflueger /

#56. its the most common used for your setup. my bike runs better with the #55 tho. do plug chops to determine which one is best. they cost $3 each at ikes bikes.i suggest getting a few different sizes.

Don Pflueger /

champion L86C

Red Larsen /

Ok thanks -Red

Red Larsen /

Well i tried a new plug, no diff. so now i dont know what to do -Red

Don Pflueger /

here's a tip. if your engine starts up and runs smooth at all rpms, even tho its lacking power, your spark plug is fine. now, back to my original question, HOW MUCH COMPRESSION DO YOU HAVE? you installed a performance exhaust, and didnt upjet. so you have been running dangerously lean. chances are your piston, rings, andcylinder are worn out. compression on a 2 stroke is VERY important. you need to have 120 lbs or higher to run correctly. anything lower and it wont run worth a damn.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account