Tomos Targa LX Shifting

I just bought an 04 Targa LX that has been very modified. It has a Raptor kit (carb, 70CC kit, exhaust,etc) performace reed, performace sprockets and a performance shift kit. It has about 1000 miles on it. It shifted normally when I test drove it this afternoon (it was warmed up), but when I got it home a few hours later it did not seem not want to go into second (if any time at all). Once I drove it for a few minutes (around the block) it finally started shifting (it does shift fairly hard). I have never driven one with a performace shift kit and do not know how it is supposed to act. Could the shifting issue be because it was not warmed up properly? Is it even an issue? Maybe the clutch is bad? How easy is that to replace?

This thing is scary fast once it gets going.

Thanks

Jeff

Re: Tomos Targa LX Shifting

Don Pflueger /

there are no shift kits for the tomos, only a gear kit which is just a taller second gear. the only clutch mods that can be done are to cut the springs so that the second gear clutch hangs longer beforeshifting. but i doubt that was done. not many know this trick, nor do they have the capabilities to make all the springs exactly the same. i would check the tranny fluid. maybe even change it and use type a suffix a or type f. but most importantly, make sure its to the full mark.

I was going to do that anyway. I never buy any knd of used vehicle without changing the fluids. Who knows what this kid has done with this thing. The ped itself looks great and runs good, but I see some signs that he beat on it a little. The back tire is way more worn out then it should be with only 1000K on it. Looks like he did some burn outs with it. The tip of the back fendor appears to be melted as well. It may have been rubbing on the tire at one point.

Thanks for the info

Jeff

I just changed the oil and used Type A Suffix A and it made some difference but it still does not grab the gear when it downshifts from time to time. It also (from time to time) will not shift into high gear unless I let off of the gas a little.

What is the difference between the Oil I used and Type F? Steve's Moped said that I should try using Type F to fix the issue. Where do I get type F?

Don Pflueger /

type f is moreabrasive and causes faster clutch wear. there was a huge discussion on this subject at http://wwwmopedriders.org concerning tomos clutches and fluids. i will use type f in my bikes, but i'm looking for better clutch lining than the cork ones tomos uses now.

Thanks for the info Donp. I saw that discussion earlier, but I decided to try the Type F anyway. It did make a little difference in the fact that it shifts better sooner. I guess that is because it is thinner.

I noticed that the chain was very tight so I loosened it. that really seemed to make a big difference, when you first start off, but it shifts a lot better then it did.

I was thinking of taking the transmission appart in a few weeks to see if I can pinpoint the issue. Any reason to beware? I am guessing I can get a repair manual from Steve's Moped. If not I saw a few web sites that have them. Which manual is best?

Don Pflueger /

the best manual/s are here;

http://www.mopedriders.org

in the moped repair area. why buy one when we host them online? i wouldnt open up the tranny unless you ultimately have to.

Thanks for the info. I took a look at the manual and it does not look all that difficult to deal with the trans on this thing. If it gets any worse I will take it apart and see what the problem is. Right now it is driveable.

I think I found the issue with this thing. It is actually shifting, but the chain is slipping on the front sprocket when it down shifts. I was feeling the chattering but thought it was in the gear box. The front sprocket is pretty worn out.

Is it just the bolt and the collar washer that hold it on? If that is it, I can replace it myself. I also noticed that I am getting some fluid from behind the sprocket. Is there a seal behind there? It looks like it might be tranny fluid

Don Pflueger /

yes its just that nutand there is a seal behind there. might as well upgrade to a 27 tooth sprocket and new chain.

I think I might take it in and have it replaced at a repair shop. The sprocket looks very easy to replace, but the seal looks like it could be a bear. If I am rading the manual correctly, it is pressed into the casing. The sprocKet that is bad is a 27 tooth sprocket. Any idea what this should cost?

Sprockets are fairly cheap:

http://www.50cc.nl/frameset_eng.htm

I have no idea how big a job it is to press that seal in, or what the going rate for labor in your area is.

Good luck with it!

Don Pflueger /

theseals are pressed in. the hard part is getting the old one out without damaging the shaft. usually you can pop them out with a screw driver. but some times you need to punch a small hole into the side of the seal and use a slide hammer to get it out. new ones can be driven in with pvc pipe. new sprockets are about $15.

I am not seeing the seal in the repair manual. Is it installed from the inside of the gearbox or can I install it from behind the sprocket?

Thanks for all the help. Everyone on this site has been great and a huge help. Once I get used to repairing this thing, I won't ask so many questions. I am actually pretty good with a 2 stroke motor, just not with the gears.

Don Pflueger /

i havent had to replace a sprocketshaft seal on my lx yet, but most of them are pressed in from the outside. and i'm willing to bet its a rubber coated seal, which means it will slide out easily.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account