tomos jerking off idle

hey I just finished repairing my tomos transmission. now I fixed one of the two problems.

at first it would slip, and also not idle at all.

I replaced the center gear cluster and now it does not slip, but when it idles in 1st gear it jerks and and grinds. I have no clue what this is. it will shut off if you come to a complete stop

it's a 2001 targa lx with a35 engine btw.

thanks for your help in advance.

-Ryan

Re: tomos jerking off idle

Don Pflueger /

sounds like the first gearclutch isnt installed correctly.

how is that possible? it only goes on one way?

Don Pflueger /

i dont know. are all the parts lined up and spaced correctly?

as far as I know yes. they are the same as when I took them out.

then again, when I took it apart it didn't work then either :)

I think it has something to do with the ratcheting gear on the pedal shaft.

Don Pflueger /

it could bea number of things. you need to open it back up and look around.

I have already rebuilt an A35 Tomos Trans on a LX. Make sure your trans is timed correctly. I would recomenned you buy a Tomos Service Manual.

Don Pflueger /

there is no timing. its all gears that just spin. as long as everything is lined up, shimmed correctly with no more than .002"-.005" of end play, then it should be fine.

thank you. finally some useful response.

Don Pflueger /

sorry i cant tell you a whole lot more. without seeing the tranny and being able to disassemble it myself, its hard to say what the actual problem is. but if all the gears are lined up and mesh and spin freely, everything should work fine. i do still think you have a first gear clutch problem tho. and thats something you will just have to look at and try to figure out whether its aligned properly, adjusted correctly,or has the springs installed correctly.

Mike Monigold /

The title of your posting reminds me a guy I used to work with, but his name wasn't Tomos.

He eventually got fired.

haha

fixed it,

stupid clutch spring.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account