Puch Magnum died

My Puch Magnum II died recently. I replaced the spark plug, cleaned the carb, made sure there were no blockages in the fuel line. The engine just refuses to fire.

I recently had it running great. I started it up one day and drove it about 100 feet to my car to fuel it up. I shut the engine off, put fuel in, and it wouldn't start up again. I may have spilled a little fuel. Could that have an effect on the electrical system? I don't think the piston rings broke/seized because it was just idling before it died.

Re: Puch Magnum died

Don Pflueger /

fuel spilled on the wires may have been a problem, but i dont think it is. it would have dried up by now.

take some carb cleaner and spray it into the carb throat then try to start it up. if it fires, you have a fuel problem. if it does not fire, you have either an electrical or a compression problem. so pull the plug and test for spark. if no spark, clean and regap your points, and check your tail light bulb/s. if it has spark, then do a compression test. you want to see 120 lbs or higher. it may also be a good idea to drop the exhaust pipe andcheck to see if the port is clear and the exhaust pipe is clean.

Ian Johnsen /

It's not a fuel problem. I put a little fuel directly into the cylinder, after taking off the spark plug, and it didn't fire up. I dropped the exhaust and there's no blockage. I cleaned the points, and still no spark. I took of the spark plug, peddled down hill, and put my finger over the spark plug hole, and the compression sure seemed strong.

I guess the only thing left is regapping the points. What's the best way?

ian, read this . i hope it helps you.

just remember fuel, spark, compression!!!!

http://mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/fredsguide/

Don Pflueger /

putting your finger over the hole means nothing. 30 lbs of compression will blow your finger off, but anything less than 100 wont even fire.

Don Pflueger /

god how i wish fred would never have put the part about placing your thumb over the hole to test compression. as smart as that guy is, i cant believe he wrote that. i hate it when i hear someone give me that as an answer to how much compression they have.

sorry don, just posting the whole article in general, you know.

i'm not a big fan of that part either, but it does help in many other ways.

Don Pflueger /

yea, it tells you the piston is moving. thats about it. lol

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account