Targa LX doesnt shift right.

Well I have a 2001 tomos targa lx and It has seen better days. Recently It has been acting weird. Once I start to reach the point when it should begin to shift, It sputters And wont shift. I've gone hundreds of feet and it still wouldnt shift.

I first thought it was because i didnt let the engine warm up enough but I have, I bought brand new spark plugs for it too and it still does it. I have to premix my gas and oil (oil pump was terrible). Any ideas on why it is doing that? I have the right mixture I have trans fluid and all that stuff. It also starts up fine. And if I start going faster down hill then I normally do on a flat surface, It starts making the same sputtering noises.

My carb is clean and seems to be working pretty good. since I am getting a car soon I wasnt really bothered with this problem But I would Like to continue to drive my moped untill My car and even afterwards.

Re: Targa LX doesnt shift right.

Sounds like a carbonned-up muffler,Mike. Take off the exhaust and see if it's plugged(bet it is!) don-ohio

Don Pflueger /

is your trans fluid type a suffix a and is it filled to the proper level via the level screw?

I forget which kind. But I know I somehow found out i should use that type. I believe I called this Moped place In NJ called Steve's mopeds (something like that) Those guys know what they are talking about(i hope). But one thing I never did is find out how much to put in. I kinda guessed and judged how much to and it didnt work. I drained alot out of it and it ended up working perfectly with only a few ounces.

Now to check my exhaust pipe, Should I just take it off and look into it? How will I know wether it is clogged or not?

should I look into the exhaust port also? If so what should I look for? I'm assuming the piston.

What I generally do is take a BIG BREATH and and try to blow thru it. If there's much resistance,it's plugged and you have to burn the carbon out or `rod' it out. When an engine can't reach sufficient RPMs to shift because of a carbonned muffler, it hangs in 1st gear or `acts up' trying to shift. don-ohio

Well I'll check it as soon as I'm done writing this reply. If it is clogged, Im not sure if I want to risk turing to burn the carbon out, How Would I got about "rodding" it out? Maybe While I'm at it, I could hollow my pipe out to get a little more power.

Pipes don't work like that,MIke. 2-strokes need SOME backpressure, but they can't handle a plugged muffler.

I just rercently torched ChrisMWH 's Polini he sold me and repainted it with heat resistant silver paint. My 70cc Sebring is running awesome!

Read Fred's Guide in `articles' on this site. don-ohio

the guide, that's the one on "how to get your moped to start?" thats the only one i've seen. I kinda figured I couldn't just hollow out the pipe.

I didnt have time to take the pipe off today but in the morning i will. I did look inside of the end of it. Couldn't tell if it was clogged but it sure did look dirty.

Don Pflueger /

if you have the stock pipe, there is a screw at the end that you remove to pull the end cap off the pipe. then you can clean the pipe out with some kind of solvent.

Yes....it must be fairly clear. don-ohio

Alright I have the pipe off and sitting in a garbage bag behind me. Now what should I do? I should Try to blow through it? How much resistance should I get and I was reading something about a screw to get the end cap off. What screw? I don't see any.

Do you mean Inside the muffler it'self?

And what type of solvent would you say I should use?

Don Pflueger /

if its thestock pipe, at the end on the inside part near the wheel, you should see a small hole, and inside that hole there should be a screw. remove the screw to pull out the baffle tube. it can be cleaned with oven cleaner.

I looked. I dont see any screw. And it's the stock pipe. :-\

I'll try pulling it out anyway or I'll try cleaning it with oven cleaner while it's still in the pipe.

thanks don i was having the same problem, the guy i bought mine from let 10,000 miles of carbon buid up

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account