Vibrating & cracking side panels

Robert Dufault /

My Tomos side panels used to make a vibrating, buzzing sound and I also noticed the panels were starting to crack. I think I’ve solved both problems. Instead of using the factory screws I’ve changed them to push type retainers that have been used in the automotive industry for years. The type I used where the kind you pop the head out and reuse again and again. There are many different styles to choose from. Attached are a few examples. They are available at most auto parts stores.

1096520443_puch_type_retainers.jpg

Re: Vibrating & cracking side panels

Don Pflueger /

to fix mine, i drilleda small hole in the silver bracket and into the fram that connects the two center panels. then i put a sheet metal screw thru this bracket into theframe. that stopped the side to side flex that causes the cracking. then i spaced the upper portions of the panels out away from the tank with a washer.the vibration noise is from the side covers being too close to the bottom seam of the tank.

Re: Vibrating & cracking side panels

Robert Dufault /

And another thing I forgot to mention, these push type retainers never vibrate loose as screws eventually do.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account