Tomos Problem

My '83 Tomos Bullet is running rough. I runs fine until it reaches around 20mph and then start jumping forward and then dies. Anyway ideas? Thanks

Re: Tomos Problem

Don Pflueger /

sounds kinda like its vapor locking. clean the gas cap vent out.

I hope that donp is correct. Give it a try.

20Mph is slightly above where the bike should be shifting into second gear. Does the bike shift into second gear properly? If not the jumping forward could be the second gear trying to kick in, and the dieing could be part of the second gear malfunctioning.

Good luck with the gas cap, and repost if that does not help. You could get some other sugestion besides the worse case scenario that I am guessing at.

The bike shifts into second gear ok but starts the coughing, sputtering, and jumping shortly after that (and subsequently dies). I apologize for my ignorance but I'm not sure about what donp means about cleaning out the gas cap vent. Is the gas cap vent inside the actual gas cap? Thanks.

Don Pflueger /

yep. it allowsair to enter the tank to take the place of the gas leaving. if it gets plugged up, only so much gas is able to leave and enough vacuum is created to stop gas flow altogether. this in turn causes the engine to lean out and surge before it dies.

It sounds as if donop is on the right track since it shifts OK. To confirm his diagnosis loosen the cap so that it does not seal completly, and then give it a try. If the problem goes away then it is a cloged gas cap. Then get some carb cleener and cleen up the gas cap.

Don Pflueger /

dont kinow if i am or not. at this point, its just my best guess.

Thanks. I'll try this and post the results.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account