replacing rings

Ok, I know that I don't have as much compression as I could on my puch maxi, and I'm looking to do as much as I can to make it run faster. I want to put new rings on it, but Im new to all this stuff. I've heard from about half the people that I talk to that you have to sand the cylander to make them expand properly, and the other half say you don't. So what's the answer? Also, I heard from someone that you can do it by hand with sandpaper, and I'd rather do that than bring it into a shop, because the one near me is known for screwing everybody's stuff up.

Re: replacing rings

The cylinders on most mopeds are REALLY hard,like madeout of chrome.

But I still like to lightly cross-hatch hone them before installing new rings. Check the piston and bore to make sure they're`in spec' also. You can insert a new ring about 1/2" into the bore and check the ring's `end gap'. The specs will be listed in the manual as to what is acceptable, but I have always found I have more leeway than what they state(same's true with automotive applications).

E.G.: If they state .011 gap maximum allowed, you can probably get by with .016" for NON-RACING applications. don-ohio (:^)

Allen Murphy /

In fact, Don--you're exactly right, it is chrome!

I remember seeing a Porsche cylinder that was all aluminum with a industrial hard chrome plate lining--one tough cylinder, to say the least.

I've cross-hatched with a ball hone, and I've been told you can do it with a flap wheel if you're careful.

Al Murphy

ok, that's good info, and thanks, but is it necessisary to hone it, and how can I do it with like sand paper instead of a hone?

Actually I don't think any older mopeds are chrome, your puch engine definitly isn't chrome. It is a cast iorn liner in the aluminum cylinder.

use a course sandpaper around 100 grit and lighlty sand up and down in a circular motion to scratch diagnol lines criss crossing in the bore. It isn't necessary to do it much.

Rings can be "lapped" in useing an old aircraft trick. This seriosly reduces break-in time. Useing an junk piston, not the one you intend for the final build, with the rings you intend to use, slather with a fine valve grinding compund or similar abrasive, put the piston ring assembly in the cylinder and give it 50-100 strokes or until the ring surface shows a nice even grey all the way around. clean all this real good and install those rings on your good piston and into the cyl.

I don't know,Paul..........I'm pretty sure that the old Puchs,circa 1976 up had a chrome-like substance lining the bore..........but I defer to the Puch experts here. don-ohio

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account