tomos headlight contact corrosion--too much juice?

Reuben Mahaffy /

Problem on my '01 targa with airsal/16/16G carb/technigas. Since the install of the kit, i have gone up to a 60W headlight bulb which burns nicely. The problem is that there is a very quick buildup of corrosion(or oxidation perhaps?) on the contact b/w the bulb and the socket. I have sanded down the contacts 3 times in the past week, but it keeps reappearing. Is the kit still supplying more juice than the system can handle? Suggestions appreciated.

Re: tomos headlight contact corrosion--too much ju

There is actually a product called bulb grease. (Found at auto parts stores.) It goes in the socket of the bulb. If you use some of this it may help.

Don Pflueger /

it could be because your drawing more amps than those connectors are designed to handle. tomos only has a 35w charging system and you are running a 60w bulb. you can get dialectric grease from radio shack and coat the terminals.that will slow the corrosion down. regular grease wont work.

Reuben Mahaffy /

thanks guys, i'll try it out

That bulb has to be dim at idle.............isn't it? I'd just go with a 40W 12 volt bulb after applying the dielectric grease that Kevin and DonP mentioned. don-ohio (:^)

there is a "heavy durt bulb for kits" that MWH sells, but i dont really see any dif....

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account