Honda Express Starter

Robert Wright /

The wind up starter on my 1978 Honda Express will wind up but wont release with the rear brake. I have tried adjusting the cable with no luck. Three times I have removed the lower cover and cannot identify anything wrong, but when I replace the cover it works well a few times. Then it goes back to its old tricks. Can anyone please give me some suggestions as to what is wrong? I'm sure this has happened to others. Thanks!!

Re: Honda Express Starter

Leon Swarmer /

did you adjust the cable at the rear brake ANDat the spring release point.?

Leon

Is the piston bound? I had just gotten a junkyard special and after kicking it a few times it wouldnt release. Turns out there was a sliver of metal caught inbetween the exaust port and the piston head. Ended up I just had to force the engine around to get it out. Sure... theres a smallish gouge in the sidewall... but thats what orings are for... right?

First you have to get the proper amount of rear brake cable play ....at the handlebars. You should have 5/8" of free play at the tip of the hand brake lever before the rear shoes BARELY start dragging the rear drum.

To adjust this,you turn the nut at the rear wheel which tightens or loosens the cable. Clockwise will DECREASE play at the handlebar lever.

After you get this right, you step down on the wind-up starter lever only 3/4"and then let up.

Now adjust the cable where it runs thru the starter release lever. You want .020"-.040" play between the lever and the nut on the cable. Okay? don-ohio

Robert Wright /

I don't think that is the problem but I will check it. Thanks!

Robert Wright /

I am convinced that the problem is not related to the cable adjustment. There is plenty of travel in the starter lever. Thanks!

Pull the rear brake lever and then reach down and MANUAlly BUMP THE STARTER LEVER. If it releases and cranks the engine, it is probably the cable attachment at the tranny. I just paraphrased the shop manual on the previous post, RMW.

don-ohio (:^)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account