just got Kreem, tips please??

Ramsey Beyer /

hi. i just got the kreem kit to remove the rust from my tank and to coat it. i have a 1977 puch maxi so obviously the thank is in the frame and cant be removed.

the instructions for hte kreem kit seem to apply to tanks that can be removed and are much larger than my tank. for example:

step 2: fill tank with warm water and tables spoon of detergent, if badly rusted add handful of bolts, then shake tank. -- i dont think adding bolts would be a good idea since theyd probalby be very hard to get out of my tank, and shaking isnt really an easy option for me.

step 3: pour kreem tank prep a into tank and add 2.5 gallons of warm water. im pretty sure my tank is a 1 gallon tank. how do i modify this mixture to work for my size of tank? i dont want to do anything wrong and mess something up.

has anyone used a kreem kit before? any advice that might make it easier for me.

Re: just got Kreem, tips please??

Bruce Wilkinson /

I did a Ciao and a Si with Kreem. The tanks are part of the frame and not removeable. Drain any gear or tranny oil from the moped. Follow the instructions carefully.I did not use nuts and bolts on mine because they would be hard to get back out. After you remove the rust and water, rust will start to form right away so put the sealer in as soon as you can. Take your petcock off and filler cap and seal the holes with a rubber plug or duc tape. Get a strong friend to help you rotate the bike over and over so all parts of the tank get coated. Let it sit five minutes or whatever it says, and rotate it again. I put about six coats on mine. Drain the excess back into the jar. Kreeming was the best thing I did to my mopeds. I never have to clean the carbs anymore.bruce

just got Kreem, tips please??

Sean Taylor 9/18/1971 - 1/14/2007 /

Make sure you do as the instructions say and let the tank air out with the cap open after coating, then rotate again, then air out, etc...it helps get a nice thick coating on there.

Where does one purchase Kreem?

Thanks!

Bruce Wilkinson /

Your local motorcycle dealer sould have it , or can order it for you. It's not cheap , about $30. to 35 U.S. bruce

Ramsey Beyer /

i got it from here:

http://www.instantop.com/CyclePage/Kreem.htm

its about the same price i saw it for at my local motorcycle shop at home but then they ran out and then i came to school so i resorted to online shopping, which adds shipping. i got the kreme kit with shipping for 42. pretty pricey, hopefully worth it. we'll see.

oh yeah. duct tape definitely doesnt work to plug holes =0)

Bruce Wilkinson /

I plugged the petcock hole with a rubber stopper and the filler hole with duct tape. I guess my filler is different than yours.bruce

Althea Erickson /

I plugged my petcock with a little wooden stopper i found at the hardware store. worked great.

the 2.5 gallon mixture stuff is actually phosphoric acid. When mixed this way with water, it removes all rust after an 18 hour soak. really handy. store it in a 5 gallon plastic bucket when you are done to soak other stuff, chains etc.

put a little less than half a bottle in with a gallon of water.

string several 7/16 nuts on some 30lb test fishing line and tie it around the end. a simple pull and out they come.

I don't even coat them any more, I just soak them and then use a big fuel filter. tanks won't rust after you get some fuel in em.

Robert Mcgraw /

where do i find this kreem

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account