Rust in the Gas Tank

I'm looking for a way to get a bunch of rust out of my gas tank. I would like to do something other than change the tank. Any ideas??

Re: Rust in the Gas Tank

i've been using this method for years. i take of the petcock(which should prbly be thoroughly cleaned) and run water through the tank until the big chunks of rust stop. i then wait for the tank to dry( you can use a hair dryer to speed this up). I then fill the tank with sand or gravel-not all the way- just enough wher i can shake it all around. i then shake the hell out of it. and then shake the hell out of it some more. then i remove the sand and run some more water through until every bit of sand is gone, then let it dry again. you can then use a gas tank sealant which can be found at most hardware stores. i personaly just keep it full of fuel. good luck

KREEM KIT get it on ebay 30 bucks!

I've also used "BBs", and rattle them around in the tank to knock off all the rust.

Rust in the Gas Tank

Behr's Concrete Etcher and Rust Remover was suggested to me by a lot of people here. You can get it at Home Depot for around $10. I had great result with it. Make a 50/50 mixture with water. Remove all rubber and plastic parts attached to the tank. Remove the fuel valve: there are rubber gaskets in it). Fill the tank with the mixture and let it sit for a couple of days. Drain, rinse well with water, and run water with a little bit of baking soda in it to make sure that the acid is neutrarized. Let it dry and you are done.

But my tank's inside was only mildly rusted prior to the treatment. I don't know how well it would work if your tank is badly corroded.

Good Luck

Masa

See Ya Moped Army /

It works great on badly corroded tanks, but if the metal is very weak from rust, it can spring a leak. I had one do it this week. I patched it up with some JB Weld and it's fine now. Once you do the acid treatment it is extremely important to keep your tank filled with gas/oil at all times or your tank will rust even worse. If you fill the tank after each ride, the inside of your tank will stay like new.

i think kreem kits and acid washes are wastes of money. tanks do not get rusty while full of fuel. i just get the large rust particals out and keep it full of gas. i work on bikes for a living and have had no complaints about the method i described not working. and it doesnt cost anything

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account