RUST is eating my tank!

Logan Mills /

my tank is quite rusty. i need to clean it but don't know hot. does anyone know what to clean out rust with/how/and where i can get the products?

Re: RUST is eating my tank!

there are a lot of way's to clean out a rusty tank. I run a lot of water through it to get out the big chunks, and then i fill it with sand and shake it, and shake it, and shake it, and shake it. then i take off the pet cock and run more water through until all the sand is out. clean the petcock good and replace. They sell gas tank sealing compounds at hard ware stores and dealerships,these work good. however, i do not use them. i just keep my tank full of fuel. either way, you should add an inline filter. you can get them at wal-mart or most hardware stores, lawnmower shops etc... there are other ways but this is a nice inexpensive alternative.

Patrick Mattison /

don't use sand, unless you plan to run a filter. imagine what the cylinder will look like after an hour of riding

That's why you rinse it all out very carefully first.

Steve Williams /

pea shingle is much better than sand,you will of course still need to rinse it,you can get a sealant here in u.k. called petseal,i don't know if it is available overseas but it is top stuff.

i have never had a problem with sand eating up my piston. i always rinse it very carefully. i have done this countless timesand have always had great success

Logan..to clean a rusted tank get a 'Kreem kit'... its a great 3 step preccess that clean all rust out of the tank and then coats the inside witha liquid plastic that hardens on the inside of the tank so you never get rust again....ive done to 3 moped tanks...it works great

it runs for about $30...i got mine off ebay.

I've used "BBs", and rattle them around to knock off the rust.

RUST is eating my tank!

i think the kreem kit is a waste of money. you can not tell me for sure that it will make a tank stop rusting for ever. there is no proof to back that up. the sand technique has been working for 70 years at least. and if you keep it full of fuel it will not rust up again. science backs that up.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account