Suzuki FA50

i have a (91?) fa 50 and i thought i was the only one in the world with one. i was so happy to see that there are others out there. i have owned it for 10+ years and it has run so-so since i bought it. i have recently drained and refilled gas and oil reservoirs, and gear box, and removed and cleaned the carb inside and out. i put a new air filter on it and a plug, and i can't get it to run. i need help.

Re: Suzuki FA50

You need to determine if you have an ignition or a fuel related problem. Take the plug out, place it on the cyl head and kick it a few times with the ignition switch in the ON position. You should see a spark jump the electrode on your spark plug. If you have a spark, then most likely fuel related. Squirt some starting fluid into the carb after you put the plug back in, If it sputters, go back through your carb work. Float OK?, hoses connected correctly? Fuel getting to the carb?

ok, i'll try that stuff. i have already done to plug to the head thing, and it does spark, but i had a small engine repair guy tell me that sometimes even a fouled plug will spark out side of the head. and like i mentioned before (i think) fuel is getting to the carb, because when it won't run, i pull the carb apart and fuel leaks out all over the place when i turn it upside down. and when i put the little fuel selector to prime, i can hear fuel running into the carb. is it possible to get a carb rebuild kit for these things? i am baffled since i have new plug, new air filter, new gas, clean carb, free flowing fuel lines, clear fuel filters, and a new battery. i'll try again with everything. thanks for the response.

Remember to not leave the lever in the "PRI" position for very long. Just enough to fill the bowl. Replace the fuel lines with clear lines. Takes the guesswork out of the matter.

There was a carb rebuild kit on ebay last week for around $22 and change. You should be able to order gaskets via your local dealer. My dealer orders and I get them in 3-4 days.

Also make sure the larger ( gas supply ) hose is installed on the correct nipple. It pulls vacuum through one hose and supplies fuel via the other.

i put clear fuel lines, made sure the lines were connected where my little owners guide shows them, put ANOTHER new plug in, readjusted the screws, verified the fuel in the tank, removed, cleaned, replaced the air filter, and still nothing. i have the obvious stuff right, like having the key on and the kill switch to RUN, and the fuel switch to on, etc. according to that trouble shooting guide on this page, if i have fuel, spark and air, it will run. i have all three, including new parts for all those factors, but no luck. i kicked it for an hour or more after doing all that stuff, hoping for luck, but nothing.

So, you are getting fuel to the plug and spark also? Are you using fresh gasoline? That's important. How about a compression test?

Take the muffler loose at the cylinder and try to start it. I spent 3 hours trying to get a Honda going due to this kind of problem. If the muffler is clogged there is not enough suction created by the piston to pull gas in, been there .... done that. Bob's compression check is good idea also.

i did the compression test that the troubleshooting guide on this page suggested, just using my finger over the plug hole, and it fires my finger right out. i have new gas oil, and i put new clear fuel and suction lines on. so yes, i have spark and fuel. i will try the muffler thing next. it's weird, because the night before i posted my first thing on here, the moped ran great, for about 5 minutes. i got down the street, and then it just bogged down like it had run out of fuel or i had hit the kill switch or something. i pushed it home and got more gas for it. since that moment, no luck, even with all the new things i have done. i'll try the plugged muffler and see what happens. thanks again everybody.

See if the gas cap is venting properly. Try running with it unscrewed a tad (if you can get it running again) After if quits, can you see if there is gas in the line to the carb?

Warner-- I have a "super running" FA50, and I was given the parts in a bushel basket, along with the frame! REASON: It would NOT run! It even had the piston hanging. Like you - I could not find any reason why - but since it was in so many parts, I thought about checking the exhaust ports. I COULD NOT FIND ANY EXHAUST PORT !! I looked through the muffler connection to the cylinder, and could not see any access to the cylinder! THEN on careful examination, I noticed a darker spot on the cylinder wall, where the exhaust connected to the cylinder. EUREKA -- It was totally plugged, and so shiny, that it appeared to be cylinder wall. I took a pick and probed through the exhaust (muffler connection to the cylinder), and bingo - It pushed through. I thoroughly scraped out the obstructions - there was an exhaust port slot nearly 3/8 in by 1/8 in. that required scraping out. -- I put the whole thing together, and its been purring ever since! Probably 10 years now. See my FA50 under my user name- "Alwaysfixin"

just to update everybody that was trying to help, i finally got the FA50 going! there was a small passage in the carb that was hidden and plugged. once it was clear, it fired right up. also, the exhaust port is extremely clogged, and i think that once it is cleaned out, it will be a lot faster and more powerful.

Well, I was way off! And usually I preach the benefits of a squeaky clean carb. Glad everything turned out o.k. Steve gets the gold star this time for being "spot on".

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account