honda express

My express is blowing gas back thru the air cleaner. It is a 1980 nc50. I put in new reed valve in and still it blows a steady stream out of the air breather. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Re: honda express

Jonas Quimby /

If I take the air filter off of my express and put my hand in it's place, I will get a fair bit blowing onto my hand at full throttle. Judging by the discolored plastic I would say this has been happening for some time. For that matter, every express I've seen has had a discolored air box.

If it's a fine mist I dont think it's too big of a problem.

Of course if you have large jets, you might wanna do things like rebuild the carburator and check seals and all that fun stuff.

Beyond the reed valve I cant think of much that would cause this.

I have been half thinking about replacing my own in an attempt to fix this problem, though I doubt I will at this point

reed valve

Jonas Quimby /

Had you read more then 5 words, you would have noticed he just replaced his with a new one and it still does the same thing.

Duane Roberts /

Thanks for the reply. I have 2 other express' and they don't have any mist comming out of the carb at full throttle. Have you ever messed with the timing?

Jonas Quimby /

A few times.

T'was the other thing I was considering, but I'm really not sure if that could cause this.

If you have the tools and knowhow to mess with it then be my guest, I'd be glad to hear the results.

hey im haveing trouble getting my head light out or getting a new bulb so when u get this post can u get back to me and tell me how to do it or walk me tho it

Blowing back out through the carburator is a very, very charectoristic sign of a problem with the reed valve. Where else can preasure be coming from to go back through the carb throat?

It is really easy to get a piece of dirt in the reed block on reasembly. I cannot gues any other explination for this.

Timeing would not affect the crankcase presure enough to have an effect on this.

Aaron Roemer /

Order a K&L Supply Co. part #23-8104 this is a cheaper replacement lens and bulb for the Express (~$17-$18). Also go to: http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/honda/express/hexpresssm.htm

This is the Express service manual. This will help you in replacing the headlamp.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account