Moby horn clicks, no spark

When trying to start a Mobylette V, the horn clicks while peddling, sounds like a short somewhere, but everything looks OK.

No spark.

Could a shorted condenser cause this?

gimmyjimmy

Re: Moby horn clicks, no spark

See Ya Moped Army /

You could still have lights and horn even without spark. A bad condensor could cause it, but I would clean and gap the points first before I went down that route.

Gimmyjimmy . /

Larry, I mean the horn makes a clicking sound as the engine turns over _without_ pushing the horn button, just as if a plug was firing.

Could a bad condensor ground out the spark from the coil into the engine/frame ground, making the horn "click"?

weird becane' lectrics...

gj

See Ya Moped Army /

If the horn is making a noise without being engaged, I would look for a frayed horn or horn switch wire that is grounding on the frame somewhere. I've never heard of bad condensor causing that kind of problem.

Gimmyjimmy . /

I did, all wires and connections are in good condition as is the switch, I traced the wires from the points to the coil, all seem ok also.

OK- Moby horn igintion switchs fail often, I've got a bunch of mobies, and only one good switch. Get a multimeter ($15 radio shack), take that switch apart (be very carefull, when opening it up tiny springs, and bb's are going to want to fly everywhere. Find the problem. If all else fails cut the whole switch cable, snip the horn wire, wirenut the other 2 leads together (run position) and you will be good to go (with no horn)

The horn is supposed to make a clicking sound when it is on, once the engine is revolving quicker, it will sound more like a horn.

Flywheel cover is REVERSE THREAD, use 3/4 ratchet to remove. If you have not allready read freds guide, do so.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/print/10/

here is the shop manual

http://mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=18

Gimmyjimmy . /

Thanks Dan,

Bypassing the horn all together was my next option.

I already had the flywheel off to clean and adjust the points, but would a faulty switch cause the coil not to fire?

I thought that would be separate from the ignition wiring, but a short, is a short, is a short,...it affects everything.

gimmyjimmy

See Ya Moped Army /

Did you check taillight bulb? On a Moby, if it's bad, you won't get spark.

Gimmyjimmy . /

The filaments in the bulb looked ok, but it may be the wrong bulb, I think it was an 1157, 12V, but I'll check.

what does it call for?

See Ya Moped Army /

What year is it? If it's a 1978 or later, it takes a 12V. I was able to find a replacement bulb at an auto parts store. It's a bulb meant for European vehicles. The base should have two diamond shaped "terminals". I can check the bulb number later if necessary.

Gimmyjimmy . /

It's a 1979, the manual calls for a 1034 bulb, but there is an 1157 bulb (standard brake/turn signal auto bulb) in there now, could that be the prob?

gj

See Ya Moped Army /

I can't say for sure, but I would still install the correct bulb in there. None of the local auto parts stores or Wal-mart by me carries a 1034 bulb, but I was able to match it up with another European bulb. I think it's an obsolete number.

A faulty switch could make it not fire, there is continuity between two wires when the switch is in the run position. your switch has all ready proven to be faulty in some capacity (by horning all the time) trace out those wires, and check for continuity between those 3 wires from their sources with the multimeter you should buy. check between all three wires with both switches (horn, and ignition) open and closed. that multimeter can also tell you if your bulb is still good, assist you in setting timing, testing batteries, and so much more I am always surprised at how few moped tool cases are missing them.

Gimmyjimmy . /

I'll try the correct bulb, but I find it difficult to understand how a bulb would make the horn chatter while turning the engine over...and..keep the coil from sparking.

I'll also try bypassing the horn-ignition switch,

that, seems like the possible gremlin.

gj

Larry, on a side note...

I know you are a "bug nut", the guy who owns the Moby has a pair of original tail light assemblies (still in the box) for a 1974 Beetle.

He wants to sell them but doesn't know what they're worth, do you have any idea?

Gimmyjimmy . /

I'll do exactly that Dan, thanks again, I do have a multimeter and a test light. I'll let you know the results.

There was a guy who posted on here last year that sold his Moby because of electrical issues,

he had, "had it" trying to work the bugs out.

it just a process of elimination (of one's patience)

gimmyjimmy

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account