Suzuki FZ50 won't run

Richard Child /

Just bought a 1980 FZ50. Rebuilt carb. It will start ok but will only idle with choke on. If I give it gas it will stall or if I take choke off it will stall. Tried to squart some gas into carb but that didn't work either. Couldn't fine any air leaks anyware. Don't know what else to do. Any ideas

Re: Suzuki FZ50 won't run

buy some starting fluid and spray it in your carb. this works on most of my engines.

Richard Child /

I tried starting fluid too and that didn't work either

Steve Williams /

you definitely have a blockage somewhere,you should strip and check where it could be,it is almost definitely a jet blockage.

Richard Child /

Will clean out carb again. Also gas runs out of the 2 hoses from the petcock when I remove them from the carb no matter how I turn the valve. Is this right?

Fuel will flow continuously in the "PRI" position, but shouldn't flow long in the "ON" with the engine not running. Have you checked the muffler for clogging? Take it off and give it a good blow(job). Sorry, I couldn't resist. But, you should be able to see if there is an obstruction in there. Air should flow freely through the unit. The carb must be perfectly clean with every single tiny hole properly open or it will act up. Tiny wire and compressed air should be used along with the solvent to make sure you've done a thorough job. I had to do one of mine three times before I got it right. Blah, blah, blah...I've talked too much.

Richard Child /

buckeroo bob. haven't had a chance to work on the suz ordered some petcock parts from suzuki. will work on it after carlisle.

Did you see the post suggesting that an exhaust port might be blocked by crud? You might want to check that possibility, too.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account