Honda PA50 - won't idle, max speed of 12MPH?!

Robert Donfrancesco /

I spent all day finally getting my PA50 to run! Thanks for the help! I still have some tweaking to do though. It won't idle, no matter how much I fiddle with the throttle air/fuel mix screws...and max speed of about 12 MPH...can this be improved?

Honda PA50 - won't idle, max speed of 12MPH?!

Clogged muffler?

Throttle opening and closing all the way?

Re: Honda PA50 - won't idle, max speed of 12MPH?!

Robert Donfrancesco /

Throttle fully opened. Clogged muffler....only 350 miles on it..wouldn't think so....what do you think?

Highly unusual for a muffler to be clogged with that little mileage.

when it runs at 12mph, does it sound smooth?

Only other things I can think of are the usual suspects - fuel flow, air flow, points, plug, timing, low compression, etc.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Did you clean the carb? Did you install the carb float bowl correctly? Drain to the right side? THis may cause your symtoms...

Robert Donfrancesco /

Cyberian and Frankman: It does run smooth at 12MPH. Once it gets up to 12MPH, its almost like it has a governor on it that holds back more speed!

The next two things I will check are fuel flow and air flow. Have a new air filter on order, due in next week. I may even try removing air filter and running it to see what happens.

Also plan on replacing leaky petcock. I will try to fit a 1978 NC50 petcock on the '79 PA50. I hope they are compatible.

Good advice so far and very much appreciated!

Did you confirm the float bowl is on correctly? It it isnt, it will interfere with the travel of the float and your fuel flow...Drain screw points to the right of the moped...You can just lay down and visually check it!

i have no idea what kind of shape that carb or your ignition system is in.. You mention 12 mph but nothing about engine RPM.. if the engine revs high and runs OK, watch the variator and see if it expands and contracts. If not, you are stuck in 'low' gear.

And assuming everything else mentioned in other responses (ignition, muffler, etc) is in good condition, idle adjustments on a healthy, clean carb are simple and accurate. So my guess is your carburetor may have internal issues.

mine's doing the same thing now, my thoughts are: the passage from the welch plug (behind it) to the air mixture screw may be blocked, or restricted, or possibly right under welch plug, or maybe in your case the tube from the front of that carb to the chamber under the welch plug may be blocked, all have to do with idle, good luck..

p.s. the 12mph thing sounds like a variator issue though, so this could be two seperate issues manifesting as one.

p.s. oh yeah and if you are going to disassemble again, don't forget to clean the emulsion tube...

Rear variator not operating?

i cleaned out those passages using air with the carb on the bike, mine is idling like a champ now. just gotta dial in the variator a bit now. :) but that's a different thread for me..

It sounds to me like your points took a shit on ya !look and see!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account