puch maxi

I just found a puch maxi moped in the trash and am fixing it up to run. It is missing the clutch housing and the housing for the stator plate. I see in the engine diagram that the clutch housing has a breather tube and gasket. Are these parts needed to have engine compression? will it run without them? I was planning on jus fabricating covers for them so they dont get crud in them. Will this be enough or should I find the real covers?

puch maxi

They are not needed for compression. The clutch, however, is a wet clutch that is designed to be partially immersed in tranny fluid. Having no cover on the gearbox will allow crap to wear your gears down, will not allow you to hold tranny fluid in there, and if the shaft mounts into the cover (as it does on the 2 speed), there's that problem too. So in other words, clean out the gearbox, verify that all the parts are there and in good working order, get a gasket and a cover for the gearbox, and you should be okay.

Also, the magneto cover is to prevent crap from getting in there so that's highly recommended as well.

Re: puch maxi

Jason Luther /

you definatly need the clutch cover, like matt said, it needs to hold the tranny fluid. the magneto cover isnt a _must_ but you should get one, water in there is bad news. you should be able to find them fairly easily

Any tips as to where to get these? Ebay? any shops online that are better than others? I have rebuilt Vespas, this is my first foray into the moped world. Of course I want to see if it can run before I sink any money into it, I did pull itout of the trash after all :)

See Ya Moped Army /

Is this a 1spd or a 2 speed? Breather tube?

It is a 1976 Puch maxi (2 hp) that is the only real writing on it. I am assuming that it is a one speed because if it was a 2 I would think it would be written on the moped, good selling point and all. the schematics I found showed a breather tube ont he housing.

Jason Luther /

check the clutch cover, if its round its a one speed, if its rectagular its a two. dont ride it without trans fluid itll, burn everything up. it should be okay to see if it starts and runs for a minute , remember its air cooled. ive seen covers on ebay, or im sure some shops like ikes, mopedjunkyard, mopedwarehouse etc. will have some.-jason

here is a photo of the clutch. Is it a one speed or 2 does anyone know? Thanks!!!

Thats a one speed, I have a couple magneto covers I can sell, I might be able to sell the clutch cover too, but that is really iffy

I would be interested in the magneto cover, but the clutch cover is what I really need. I understand it needs to be sealed to hold tranny fluid in the clutch. Let me kno if you can part with both or just one and how much $$$. I really am interested in the clutch cover though.

Chris.

Ryan Radenbaugh /

hey I was wondering since you fixed up your puch if you know how to get a piston part for puch 76' or have any available ...let me know any info because im fixing up mine as well.

yup, pick a shop, any shop

http://mopedarmy.com/resources/links/8/

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account