sugar in the gas tank

I was driving to work on my ped and drove about a mile when my ped died. I though maybe I was out of gas, thats when I noticed my gas cap was on wrong. When I tooked it off I noticed some fucker put sugar in my tank (i tasted it believe me it's sugar) I didn't run the ped that long but I'm scared that my bike is totally fucked. I know I need to flush things out, does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean my tank? I'm sure I should replace the fuel line and clean the carb. What do I need?

I've totally lost faith in humanity for the upteenth time.....rotten bastards!

incredibly pissed,

-B

Re: sugar in the gas tank

Hey i cant see it being to big of a deal.

I say just take off the Pet cockand let the gas flow out, put in some fresh gas, shake it around , do it like 5 times , then put a fuel filter from your local motorcycle shop on the line. Take of your carb and clean it, it should not be that hard.

Dan

Allen Murphy /

Drain the tank, rinse it with BOILING water--gets out the sugar, and dries out of the tank nicely, rinse with acetone to remove ALL of the water, and remount and refill with fresh gas.

World's full of assholes with nothing to do than fuck with other peeps stuff--been there, seen this, and got used to it--but I still DON'T have to like it!

Al Murphy

Jonas Quimby /

Just so you know...

Sugar does not dissolve in gasoline. What this means is it wont get past a good fuel filter. So long as your bike has one, you dont need to worry about your engine being run with something akin to sand in it.

and try getting a locking gas cap

if it already died, it probably measn he already got sugar in it. Definatly clean out the tank, petcock, fuel line, and carb probably.

There's a good chance some sugar just got stuck in the carb and clogged it up. It probably didn't even make it to the engine.

HOWEVER, if it did make it to the engine, 2 stroke engines don't have a shitload of parts like a car. Just take it apart and clean everything with boiling water and acetone that shit. You should be able to do it in a couple days.

Good luck. Be sure to have a bat handy next time you park it, just in case...

myth busters did a show on this. they came up with the conclusion that sugar doesnt do any damage to an engine

that was with a car engine not a 2 stroke engine

the whole point was that it doesnt solidify, stay in chunks or create too much carbon. all of these transfer to two stroke.

Jonas Quimby /

And I bet the car was red too. My bike's green so that changes everything...

I originally mentioned a fuel filter for a reason. Sugar doesnt dissolve in gasoline, no matter what engine that gas may be poured in. What that means is it remains big sugar grains - too big to fit through a fuel filter! So long as it's in an engine made within the last few decades, it shouldnt be able to do any damage besides clog up the fuel filter.

Now if the bike Doesnt have a fuel filter, the stuff could get into the carb and clog up passageways, which means a good cleaning would be wise afterwards. But if it managed to do that, then chances are the engine would die due to lack of fuel, Not from being attacked by sugar.

i do believe sugar will disolve in gasoline. i believe this but i do not knoiw for sure, but i will be able to tell you for sure in an hour or so.

Jonas Quimby /

Well going by the fact that many differant people have tested it in a variety of differant scientific ways, I think it's safe to say it doesnt.

Take a look at

http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

It's true sugar does not dissolve in gasoline. I caught it in time and flushed out everything, my ped is running again. Lil' bastards, I hope they choke on a sugary somthin!

o.k. i did my own experiment and it did not disolve.

I asked the mechanics I know about this, they said that given enough time it will... and that I should go tell that to the ford 3.8 sitting 50 feet away that sugar wont fuck up an engine!

Maybe its different with cars?

most mechanics are assholes. I know, for ive been both for years. i am running a test on this now. i have found that sugar will not fully disolve in gas, but what damage it will do is still up in the air to me. i dont think it will do much. i am running it in a 43 cc go-ped. we'll see what happens.

o.k. i have ran one tank of gas (which is 1.5 liters) through my g0-ped mixed with 1 cup of sugar. it ran pretty good. no major problems. it did sputter a few times. today i am going to run 1.5 cups of sugar and see what happens. i have a feeling that my carb will need a good cleaning, but i do not forsee anything worse. however, i was wrong over the sugar dissolving, so we'll see. i will report my findings tonight.

O.K. I have ran this go-ped every day for a while now with up to 2 cups of sugar per tank(mostly less) and it iss still running. sometimes it bogs a little when I take off, but no damage yet!!!

Curtis Onstott /

There is probably so much sugar in the area where the fuel leaves the tank that there isnt enough fuel flow... Or some has gotten into your carb.

If your engine somehow managed to burn some sugar, I doubt it would have done much damage-- sugar and gas are basically made of the same stuff... It just does not burn as well.

Another thing to note, is that sugar will not disssolve in gasoline, but it will dissolve in any droplets of water suspended in your tank.

still running

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account