Is my muffler clogged?

Jim Fitzgerald /

It only has this problem after it has warmed up. It runs great for a few minutes and I have power and speed, but after about 5 minutes all of a sudden it starts to go real slow and has no power going up hills. If I don’t keep the throttle open it dies. The fuel tank is not rusty, the fuel flow is sufficient, the belt is not slipping, however the muffler seems to get pretty hot. If it was a muffler problem, wouldn’t it run crappy right from a cold start? Or would the carbon heat up and expand or something? I would just run it without the muffler for a few days (just to get me to school and back,) but I am afraid of damaging the engine. Could that happen?

Re: Is my muffler clogged?

check the vent on your gas cap, it could be clogged causing a vucuum problem. Spray it out with carb cleaner. Also sometimes old condensors fail when hot.

check your gas cap- the vent may be clogged

to test this- unscrew your gas cap like 1/4 of a turn and go ride and see if the problem still happens

nick

After you check the gas cap, just drop the whole muffler.

Run the bike for a few minutes to see if that is your problem.

I highly doubt that you can do any damage in 5-10 minutes.

(And, yes, I have done this quite a few times for diagnostic purposes.)

Jim Fitzgerald /

I figured it out...my gas tank nozzle is screwy and even though there's some gas in it, it doesn't flow when the moped is leaning left at all. So I just filled up the tank and now it runs great. Boy, do I feel like an idiot.

Steve Murphy /

Yeah, but you learned a valuable lesson: When you're low on fuel, only make right turns!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account