Straightening a rim

How would you go about straightening out a bent rim? Are there any shops that can do this?

Re: Straightening a rim

Don Pflueger /

any motorcycle or maybe a bicycle shop can do it. depending on how bad it is, you may be able to do it yourself. a good place to learn is a web site by a guy named sheldon brown. he has detailed instructions on his site on how to build and straighten wheels. do a search for sheldon browns guide on building wheels. if you cant find it, email me, i have the site and link on a disk.

But if it's a mag wheel and NOT spoked.............then there's a problem. don-ohio

Don Pflueger /

lol, yea i didnt take that into consideration. but then again, ive never seen a bent mag.

My oldest Sebring with nearly 40K on it had a bent Bernardi mag. I took a common wheel weight (lead), and fitted it into the curvature of the moped wheel. Then I pounded that wheel back into line with a hammer on the softer lead.

It's still holding today(matter of fact I took the bike out for a run last evening!)

But it was a small spot along the edge.........I wouldn't try to straighten a mag that was severely bent. don-ohio

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account