Ciao runs great on stand; slows and dies on hills

Jim Fitzgerald /

I just put in a new set of points and condenser and cleaned the carb. It starts on one kick and idles perfectly. However, when I give it throttle, it almost dies but then the engine accelerates. It runs great on the center stand, but when I'm riding it has no torque. I tried taking it up a hill that used to be no problem and this time it slowed down BIG TIME and I had to turn back down the hill because it felt like it was going to stall. Has anyone else had this problem?

Re: Ciao runs great on stand; slows and dies on hi

Bruce Wilkinson /

Is the belt slipping ? If you put new points and condencer in then you had the belt off and engine out. Maybe too much slack in the belt ? bruce

Check the muffler. You may have a carbon build up problem. Reduced airflow through the muffler will significantly decrease the moped's performance.

Jim Fitzgerald /

Why does it almost die when I give it throttle? It starts to stall, but at the last possible moment, the engine kicks in and I get the engine response I was waiting for.

I had the same problem with my moby. As soon as I cleaned the exaust, the bike ran perfectly. Have you cleaned the exaust recently?

Jim Fitzgerald /

Also, it only has this problem after it has warmed up. It runs great for a few minutes and I have power and speed, but after about 5 minutes all of a sudden it starts to go real slow and has no power going up hills. If I don't keep the throttle open it dies. The fuel tank is not rusty, the fuel flow is sufficient, the belt is not slipping, however the muffler seems to get pretty hot. If it was a muffler problem, wouldn't it run crappy right from a cold start? Or would the carbon heat up and expand or something? I would just run it without the muffler for a few days (just to get me to school and back,) but I am afraid of damaging the engine. Could that happen?

Check your spark plug? Maybe you could go with a hotter plug... cause it sounds like it just is not firing right.

Also, you just goofed with the points you said? Maybe you dont have the timing set right?

-rand

if it runs good when cold then runs shity warm? it that with the choke on ? i'd go ver and check timeing(don't think that's it) then i'm sorry to say i'd look at the carb again

ALSO check to see that the tank venting is working, ya know what i'm saying? do the carb last cause i know it's a pain in the ass

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account