no transmission fluid

Ramsey Beyer /

hi. i dont know much about mechanics or anything and i really dontknow what transmission fluid does. im sure it lubricates something. how important is this?

i cant unscrew the screw for where i put my transmission fluid in. its stuck i guess, im not really sure. i tried using the help of several big strong men and wd-40 but we cant get it unscrewed,and i know the previous owner said he drained the transmission fluid before he sold it to me so there would be no leaks when i took it home. will i ruin my moped if i drive around with no transmission fluid? any suggestions for how to get this unscrewed?

Re: no transmission fluid

If you have NO transmission fluid, that is very bad... transmission fluid lubricates the gears and helps to dissipate the heat. You might be able to get away for a little on a one speed, but if you have a two speed it will destroy it pretty fast.

Make sure that you use the right stuff, too. If its a puch it probably takes TYPE-F transmission fluid, but check around the net and see. You didnt say what kind of bike you have or I would find out for you.

Also depending on the transmission, you may be able to add fluid through the plug hole in the top, but be careful, as those tend to get really old and rot apart, you may end up fishing the plug out of the tranny with a needlenose like I did, and its not fun to do.

Again, if it is a 2 speed puch, fill it up to the drain plug hole in the bottom. I am sure someone around here can tell you how many ounces of fluid to use for what type of transmission.

yea for a 1 speed puch its type F automatic transmission fluid

and i think its the same for a 2 speed

ide recheck on the type of fluid for a 2 speed cuz im not too sure about that

just fill it to the over-flow hole

2 speed is also type F, I own one and that is what I use and no problems

Ramsey Beyer /

yeah i know i need type f transmission fluid. i have a 1977 puch maxi. but the old owner said i fill it up by unscrewing a big flat head screw, and thats the plug for the fill hole. is that really where i fill it up? because thats where my problem is, i cant get the screw out.

yep, thats where you fill it, it will come off, try some real penetrating oil, not just WD-40, then put a little muscle into it, c'mon I know you're buff

Ramsey Beyer /

haha i had boys help me and everything! i'll keep working on it, thanks =0)

Mike Monigold /

I am the old owner (not just figuratively speaking!).

I never had the screw out. I just unscrewed the bottom drain bolt to drain it out.

DO NOT RUN IT WITHOUT the proper amount of TYPE F transmission fluid!!!!

A suggestion:

I would soak it with penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench. WD-40 won't do you too much good. Soak it overnight. Wipe off the excess on the bolt and in the bolt slot and then use an impact tool on it. A handheld impact tool has various ends for it (Phillips and slotted in different sizes). You put the right tip in it, hold it very tight and then smack the top of the tool with a hammer. Make sure that you have the tool set for UNscrewing. I paid $5 for mine at the local discount auto parts store. Before buying one I'd check around to see if someone has one that you can borrow. Most backyard mechanics will have one for those stubborn bolts.

I hope this helps.

Ramsey Beyer /

thanks mike. just a feeeew more things and she'll be running well.

Ramsey Beyer /

one last question, one ANY transmission fluid be better than none, until i find type F. because im having trouble finding type F fluid. all the specialty shops are far away. so for now (and only for a short time) could i just use another kind of transmission fluid?

is there a wal mart near by, or meijer? those places have type F, it is best to get the correct stuff, otherwise you may end up needing to flush it out to get all the wrong stuff out.

did you finally put some ass into it and get that filler screw off?

Ramsey Beyer /

i got liquid wrench and im letting it soak for a bit. i tried just spraying it, tapping, and then trying to unscrew it but it wasnt budging. i need some muscles. i'll try to get out to a walmart soon. im kind of limited on what i can get to because of my lack of vehicle while at school (which is where the moped comes into play as long as i can get it running).

I bet that guy put it in with an impact wrench...

You sure your trying to unscrew that small screw on the side of the case that sticks out, and not the big screws that hold the case cover on? (and you do have a puch 2 speed right?)

And get the type F... dont put anything else in there, the type F is different enough for it to be a whole other rating of fluid, so dont use anything else... like dude said, wal mart has it and they are everywhere.

Ramsey Beyer /

i believe i have a onespeed. and im pretty sure its the only screw that logically makes sense to fill with anything. the others definitely look like theyre just holding the cover on.

If you roll it up to a repair place, they might hit it with an impact wrench for you for free, if you talk to them right. I know the guys at a performance place around here, so they always help me out...

...my point is that is good to be in good with someone that owns a shop, for when you need crap like that done, go make a friend out of a mechanic :)

Matthew Libhart /

You may also want to try getting it out with a ratchet. Get a 1/4" socket and then get a screwdriver bit that fits 1/4" (most bits are 1/4" and put it in the socket. The longer the wrench handle, the more torque you can put on the screw.

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Use vice grips to hold the end of the screwdriver(perpendicular). Then while pressing down hard on the screwdriver, slowly try to turn screw out, by using the vicegrips to turn the screwdriver countersclockwise. This method works well for me. Make sure the screwdriver is the right size, or you may strip the screw.

Brooklyn

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account