I need to remove a chain link

I need to remove a chain link because the chain has streched and the adjuster is all the way cranked and it is still flopping around.

Do I need a chain tool like the one for bicycles?

I noticed the master link has a clip. Could someone talk me through this?

I appreciate the help in advance. Thank you.

Re: I need to remove a chain link

Chain links remove 2 links at once. You set the chain over a 1/4" DRIVE SOCKET and drive the pin thru into the socket,separating the link.

When you drive THAT pin back into the shortened chain, HIT it directly with a hammer to banter it,keeping it from slipping back thru the link.

Then you loosen the rear wheel nut, and re-adjust the chain tension again. don-ohio

Don Pflueger /

wal-mart sells a bicycle chain tool for like $3.00. its good for about 3 uses before it breaks, but it will do the job for you. in my opinion, if your chain is stretched to a point where your rear wheel is all the way to the rear of the swing arm, and its sloppy, you need a new chain. otherwise your tearing up your sprockets and that will get costly in the long run.

See Ya Moped Army /

I use a grinding stone on my Dremel and grind off the pin. I then use a very thin blade screwdriver and wedge it between the overlapping links and take a hammer and hit the screwdriver to separate the links. I then pry it apart witht he screwdriver. It works like a charm everytime.

that doesn't make any sense. chains will stretch. just take a link out it will make no difference whether you have another one.

if I did that everytime I had a chain stretch I would have gone broke.

just take a grinder and grind the end of the pin off. the chain will fall apart.

Don Pflueger /

chains do stretch. and the links then become sloppy. and when this happens they do not set in the sprockets correctly which then wears the teeth down. look at the tips of a new sprocket and the tips of a worn sprocket. the worn one will have pointy teeth that are worn more on one side because of the stretched chain trying to fit in between the teeth.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account