More Tomos Problems

Red Larsen /

My tomos targa lx which has had all kinds of crap go wrong with it has another problem. When i full throttle the engine sounds choppy and it maxes out at 35. But other times the engines suddenly kicks in and it jumps to 42. Whats up?

-Red

Re: More Tomos Problems

John Joedicke /

clean your carb!

Red Larsen /
red OP

Ok, ill try that, but it also jumps forward when im stopped sometimes, does that have to do with the carb too?

-Red

It might, so get yourself some carb cleaner and clean it out good. If not, you might be running rich so what jet are you using and what's your set-up?

actually that probobaly has nothing to do with the carb.

your clutch sounds messed up to me. or the idle is too high. one of those 2 things.

Red Larsen /
red OP

Yeah it might be the idle because i adjusted it very recently. It made it very easy to start for about 5 days. Now it takes 4 or 5 kicks to start.

-Red

your Problem rater lies in the seal-Rings of the Crank to the Crankcase on the Ignition and Clutch side.the Engine is running to

lean and therefor the idelspeed is to high,because the Gasoline Mixture has to mutch air and less Gasoline. And therefor the Engine

has less Horsepower at higher RPM.

Don Pflueger /

if a crankseal goes bad, a 2 stroke wont idle at all. a bad crankseal will not allow the engine to create the vacuum needed in the crankcase to draw fuel from the carb into the transfer ports. most likely he has a loose or bad intake manifold gasket, or cylinder base gasket. retorque head bolts to 10 ft/lbs.

a small whole in a seal and it will still run, it will just run fast cause of the lean air

Don Pflueger /

not on a crankseal

Somtimes it is better to get yourself some more Info

over 2-stroke Engines bevor you post .

In my expierince in over 25 Years,in Maintenance and Tuning

of 2 and 4-Stroke Heavy-Duty and Race Engines

we Replaced over 100 Crank seal on 2-stroke Engines that

had problems whit staling Idle . Because the Piston pull vacumair over the worn Seal ring on the Ignition-side and lean the gasmixtur.

The next problem that kann happen,when the Seal ring from the

Crank are worn ! Is that,the Crankbearings are worn to and you replace the seals and after a while you have the same situation.

But if you now it better! some Guy

Don Pflueger /

you dont think 14 years as a small engine mechanic, 9 of which were spent as the head mechanic in a honda dealership, the other 5 owning my own shop are enough?

crank seals can and do affect 2 stroke engine performance. i have certifications hanging all over my office walls from the more than 20 different schools i went to. yes a worn bearing can be a problem if the crank has up and down play in it, but thats not a very likely situation. usually the oil rubber seal has either hardened, or become brittle and cracked.

dont ever call me stupid!

ive built thousands of engines to your 100.

hey, donp

can you help me with my problem?

send me a private email.

i have a tomos silver bullet 1979.

-dale

transitionguy@hotmail.com

whats your problem ? you now by now if a worn seal-ring effects the

Idle or not? You may have to consider your self ? If or not !

Join the Army come over to Germany and maybe we Show you a

little bit how it works whit Automotive Engineering and Competitive

2 and 4-Stroke Engines and its Maintenance and Repair in a Range

that Costumers can evort.

Don Pflueger /

i can help you here or thru email.

Don Pflueger /

who's the one with the problem? you called me stupid, remember?

here's some of my background.

i grew up working in my dads auto repair shop building high performance engines. at age 5 i started racing motocross. when i was 16 i took a job at a company called lubrizol in their carbuerator rebuilding department. lubrizol makes oils and oil additives for comercial and consumer use and runs thousands of engines every day. after x number of hours they tear these ngines down for inspection. we were the carb dept. at age 23 i took a job at a honda dealer ship as head mechanic repairing gpz, dirt, and street bikes, as well as lawn and garden equipment. in 1998 i decided i was tired of punching a clock and ventured out on my own working in my own small shop, which i plan to expand in the next year. i plan to become a tomos and hero majestic dealer. think you can teach me anything? i doubt it. a bad crank seal will not allow an engine to idle. dont believe me? do a leak down test on one sometime. if you know what that is.

ive been here and on the other 13 moped forums for quite some time. i have helped hundreds of guys fix their peds and 8 out of 10 times i'm right with my diagnosises. i have such a good reputation with every moped shop and parts dealer that all i have to do is send an email and my parts are there next day. most guys have to pay up front. but i'm very well respected here.

so who's gonna die stupid?

maybe you should sit back and learn.

Leppy The Lepracaun /

Go donp! u tell him who won the war.

Leppy The Lepracaun /

wait we won the war right? against germany? fuck i gotta stop smoking

Don Pflueger /

yep, we won. but this isnt no war. i only corrected his statement that a bad crankseal causes a fast idle.

Kate Nichols /

I've got Tomos trouble too...

Just got it used. ran great for about 5 hours...then just stopped. plenty of gas. oil is full. i am a mechanical idiot so I need extra help. I have no owner's manual...can someone help me please?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account