could someone please explain positive ground

i've been working on bikes of all shapes and sizes for 15 adult years and about 6 years of messing around with them as a kid. i have worked on probably 50 triumphs over the years owning 3 myself.

my problem is not related to knowing how to work with positive ground. i've been successful every time i've worked this type of electrical system.

I just do not fully understand the concept, or why it would be used. are there benifits to positive ground?

if anyone could explain positive ground in detail it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advace

Re: could someone please explain positive ground

Don Pflueger /

positive ground systems are usually found in british made cars and bikes. there's no benefits with doing it this way, its just how they do things on british made stuff. electricity is just electricity no matter which direction it flows.

Robert Fosdick /

yes, i've found this out through my work. i just dont understand why this concept was developed. it seems to have more flaws than advantages

Don Pflueger /

"i just dont understand why this concept was developed. it seems to have more flaws than advantages"

because they are british. lol

Fords before 1949 were positive ground. I don't remember why, but there is an economy in the positive ground.

Jason Luther /

my guess is if you use the bike frame as the ground, it acts more like a neutral wire (thinking in house wiring terms) which allows the ac electricity to make its loop. so therefore you only need one wire running to a load.-jason

_Fords before 1949 were positive ground. I don’t remember why, but there is an economy in the positive ground._

Actually I think Ford used 6-Volt positive ground up until 1955.

I had a '55 and it took a bit of getting used to when working on electrical problems.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account