cateye turn signal repair

ok well ive installed my homemade cub C battery pack and have ran the engine for a total one one day

the problem,?

the batteries wont charge

anyone know what could be wrong with the signals?

Re: cateye turn signal repair

DC to AC? Gotta have that current right. don-ohio

???

what do you mean by that

its a cateye kit and ive installed it correctly

What I mean is that most mopeds power their lights by AC current.

The Cateyes' I've seen are DC powerewd.............meaning they need a battery somewhere. don-ohio

He put new batteries in and they work off the batteries, the batteries are supposed to charge off of the mopeds system, there is a single wire hookup, there is a diode inside to convert it to DC to charge the battery, I'm guessing that it is a diode problem, or wiring inside the Cateye itself.

dot dot dot

...holy god, a system that charges batteries from a moped?!!?

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, DOES ANYONE HAVE A SCHEMATIC FOR THE CAT-EYE SYSTEM THAT CAN SHOW ME HOW THE ELECTRONICS WORK????

The cateyes I've seen usually tie into a hot wire in the headlight horn switch on the left handle bar.

The Cateye battery box has a printed circuit board that probaly contains a rectifier that converts AC to DC and provides a trickle charge to the battery when the engine is running.

I put a set on my cat and he was pretty danged upset. I think I wired him wrong or something

My cat was wired wrong

sorry about the other pic

1094202078_aint_funny_zippy.jpg

Thats a good starting point, I guess...

I would really really like a schematic though if anyone can provide one... I would even pay someone a couple bucks to make a schematic from the assembly if they are willing...

you want to buy a partial assembly and figure it out yourself? I don't have any lights, but I have the main unit.

1094238102_cateye_sm.jpg

Whoa! Wanna sell that? don-ohio (:^)

I was looking fo rlike $10 plus shipping, but we can talk if you are interested Don, as long as you help Rand with the schematics if you can.

If that is the thing that charges batteries from the magneto, and it works, I will paypal you right away :P

Email me about it plz :)

-rand

im good ar electronic boards but not great at them

ill look over the thing

but yea it must be somthing wrong with the charging circuit box

ill also try to find someone that can make a wiring diagram for these signals

Well,RAY, go ahead and help Rand first, and if you still have that unit, I'll buy it(if he needs it,that's okay). I am not an electrical genius, and have never seen where they get a charge off AC current on the moped, but then I have never installed one yet,either.LOL!

If you can give me a full schematic of the magneto to cateye to battery line, that being, where the power comes from, where it goes into, WHAT it goes into (specifically, exactly what electrical components are involved in schematic form), and what it runs at, I believe I can redesign the system to charge a larger battery set.

What this means, in essence, is once I figure it all out, that anyone with a soldiering iron could go to radioshack and build a unit to charge a battery on their moped...

...battery powered onboard stuff for everyone! :)

-rand

that would be kool

Ray, I will email you again about the cateye, I will buy just that from you, we can talk rims some other time.

ok cool

Just remember that it doesn't have to be charged by the moped...............you can solder leads and charge it from a trickle charger. don-ohio

Are you talking about those bicycle chargers that push up against the wheel and power the lights?

Either way, we are dealing with a highly irregular power source, I need to know how the cateye cleans up the power.

No,Rand, a trickle charger is one you plug in overnight and clip to your battery. It's very small and has maybe one amp.

don-ohio

thats a pain tho

and i store my ped is the shed

no power source

and i must open and remove the battery every day to recharge it

plus i dont have any trickle charger

ok i might have found the problem

the wire going to the light switch poped off

ill solder it back on now

yep they work

thanks for the helpful hints though

You lightly solder 2 wires to the proper terminals of the box where the batteries sit..............you attach alligator clips(an actual plug end is better) to the ends.....one red(positive),one black(ground). You then find any power source(Radio Shack has universal ones with adjustable outputs and voltages) that plugs into the wall and is greater than 200 MAmp and up to 1000 Mamps, and connect it positive to positive,negative to negative. I keep a timer here that I can set for 6-8 hrs.charging on my lawnmower battery. 6-8 hrs. is a good charge time for most Ni-Cads.

don-ohio

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account