can I use Krazy Glue to repair a carb float?

Jim Fitzgerald /

Just wondering if Krazy Glue will work to repair a hairline crack in my moped's plastic carb float. Does anybody know if gasoline destroys Krazy Glue?

Re: can I use Krazy Glue to repair a carb float?

Don Pflueger /

ive used seal-all. super glu might be a better bet. just keep in mind that anything you put on it adds weight to the float and it may not be able to float. adding glues and such isnt much different from that little bit of gas inside that float.

on a side note, your float got a crack in it from one of two things.

1) the carb had water in it that froze.

2) it was dropped or something happened to it while the carb was apart.

See Ya Moped Army /

I don't think crazy glue is impervious to gasoline. I doubt it will work for any length of time. Buy a new float, they are very inexpensive.

Remember....penny wise, dollar foolish.

use epoxy.. its virtually gasoline-proof..

Before you use something else, do experiments.. Make two samples.. put one hardened sample in gasoline overnight or for a couple days.. if, compared to the other sample, the one in gasoline gets soft or shows any other difference, dont use it.

Personally, i like to weld plastic with a not-too-hot soldering iron. Repairs are permanant and if done right, the part is functionally as good as new. Practice on something else first.

Hey there, army

My 1980 102sp u3 float has a gaping hole it (thanks to me oops) and I already bought a nos one from moped division but after shipping 21 bucks for a tiny float is ridiculous.

My question is because I read it here, is there supposed to be a little gas inside the float

On a gurtner ar2 carb float?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

There shouldn’t be any gas in the float. You obviously have a leak in it.

> Trevor Perez Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hey there, army

>

> My 1980 102sp u3 float has a gaping hole it (thanks to me oops) and I

> already bought a nos one from moped division but after shipping 21 bucks

> for a tiny float is ridiculous.

>

> My question is because I read it here, is there supposed to be a little

> gas inside the float

>

> On a gurtner ar2 carb float?

I almost pressed to buy a 13 and change air cleaner when i noticed a 49 and change shipping charge ..some of them will try to nail you any way they can

Screenshot_2019-08-04-20-24-40.png

You can use SealAll to repair it but very thin film... or get some airplane dope and paint it up.

Bad Cadillac™ /

Just replace it and be done with it!

It'll be reliable and you won't have to visit it again most likely.

After removing any gas , if the float is metal : solder it ; if the float is plastic : use a soldering iron to weld it .

And if you add material to the float it will be heavier. Might need to adjust float height when done repairing.

I would just find a new or used one and pitch the old one.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> And if you add material to the float it will be heavier. Might need to

> adjust float height when done repairing.

>

> I would just find a new or used one and pitch the old one.

For a hair line crack , no material should be needed for a plastic weld and the slight amount of solder needed will not effect float height very much .

I' guess it's obvious that I tend to fix stuff before replacing it with hard earned cash . ;)

> See Ya Moped Army Wrote:

> I don't think crazy glue is impervious to gasoline. I doubt it will work

> for any length of time. Buy a new float, they are very inexpensive.

>

> Remember....penny wise, dollar foolish.

I agree with this^^

Fix it right one time and be done.

Easy to just say "buy a new one" but some are not easily replaceable when there are few to no spares of some makes and models.

Repair would be the last option. If they are that difficult to find keep the old one as a spare.

I will tell you though, that super glue breaks down and loses its bond when exposed to moisture. The ethanol in gas absorbs moisture and you will be on borrowed time.

And, if its cracked now, who knows how many more cracks it will develop after any repairs.(edited)

Bad Cadillac™ /

Well until we're told it's not replaceable, we recommend the replacement. Total carb replacement might also be an option for some.

Fixing it is just not permanent or, fixing could cause other issues with fuel delivery.

Seal All is made to work with fuels, possibly if it's spread thinly it could work but chances are, this carb has other issues going on too.

I used Krazy glue for a temporary fix on a leaking petcock. Leak was at the threads on a custom aluminum tank.

After thoroughly cleaning it, applied the Krazy glue, and it worked for about a week.

The fuel got underneath the glue and loosened it up, and it peeled off, and had a soft texture to it.

So, no, it won't work, at least not forever, and will come off, probably gumming up your carb.

I have made floats before with cork and some with balsa wood, if you use cork it can not be composite it has to be a single piece of cork, the composite just falls into little pieces really quick in fuel. Both types I used airplane dope on to seal them so they do not get fuel logged.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Possibility as to why it cracked it could have been a rapid temperature change such as 40° 280 in one day it happened to my delordo ma and I'm reading this the find out if the Crazy Glue worked mine developed manufacturer flaw at the seem and looks as though benzo Bond would work if I had it it's the original plastic weld maybe I can get some Tri methyl ethyl ketone and see if I can re melt the plastic

Jeffrey Strichart /

Just buy a float.

after having a float become a sink on a ride one night, I was able to fix it on the side of the road by heating up the tip of my pocket knife with a lighter and 'plastic welding' the crack in the float. worked great and as far as I know that float is still in that carb to this day, like 10 years later

What are the measurements of your float? I have some nos floats here that I'd sell for $12 shipped if any are the right one.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

19mm dellorto ma carb central taper pin float. It really bites I did see what a "new" one goes for. I would buy a new carb for the price first. Balsa wood....

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Alright, i’ve repaired many a crappy encarwi floats with a small dab of Red Kote tank liner with a chopstick. No change to float height and completely ethanol resistant. I love Red Kote!!! Sure other stuff works, but I would recommend the product designed to withstand gasoline

Awesome

I fixed a cracked float on the side of the road once by heating up the tip of my pocket knife and welding the crack up, it's still holding for all I know.

I have used crazy glue to repair a (broken not cracked) distributor cap in a parking lot to get home. Worked for a couple days.

I used crazy glue to fix the base of our Mr. Coffee coffee maker , night before last .

It's been making good coffee since . ;)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account