is there supposed to be any liquid in a carb float

Jim Fitzgerald /

I have a 1974 Vespa Ciao. I have been trying to get the carb to stop leaking gas out of the top air vent, but I can't figure out what is wrong. I took the carb apart and noticed that there is some liquid inside the plastic float piece. It is not totally full, but almost. However, when I shake it, nothing (no liquid) comes out. Is this liquid supposed to be there, or is there a pinhole somewhere on the float that makes it less bouyant, causing the float needle not to close the inlet valve?

Re: is there supposed to be any liquid in a carb f

There sould'nt be any gas in the float. Sounds like you have a small crack in the float. I have repaired brass floats be after the gas was removed. Not sure about a plastic one.

Leon Swarmer /

I put a platsic one in the sun for a bout a week to evaporate the gas and then sealed it with gasket sealer. It worked for a few months before I got a new one.

yeah there definetely shouldn't be liquid in there

If you can find the leak after the gas evaporates you might fix it with a soldering iron, melt the plastic together over the crack. Just be careful don't melt tought.

there should be no liquid, and yes, it prevents the float from floating and closing the needle valve..

There may be a marking on the float.. a number. This sometimes give you the proper weight of the float, probably in grams.. maybe grains.

one caution about float repairs is to add as little additional weight to the float as possible..

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account