Can anyone help?

Hey guys,

I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with my Targa LX 2001.

It seems to run fine when it hot out but when it gets a little chilly out it runs like crap. When you give it full gas on the throttle, the engine cuts out. Even when it is hot out when you first start up the bike, you need to let it sit for like 5 minutes before giving it gas or the engine will cut out. Also, I just put the choke back on and when you put the choke down, it just locks down and the bike will not start , I guess because it isn't getting any air?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

thanks alot

Re: Can anyone help?

Don Pflueger /

what exhaust pipe do you have?

as air gets colder, it becomes more dense which means your engine will run leaner. sounds to me like you are under jetted. a 2001 lx should have a #53 jet in the carb and i think you need to go up to #54 or #55. and if your running with a performance exhaust, a #56.

Leslie Magyar /

Hey, I have a Bi Turbo exaust.

Should I get a 56? and how much do those puppies cost?

thanks a lot

Don Pflueger /

well, you need to upjet to something bigger than the #53. so, i would get a #54, #55, and #56 and do plug chops to see which one is best for your bike. #56 is the most common one. they cost $3 each at ikes. smallprice to pay to protect that expensive top end.

Leslie Magyar /

k I will try it. That would be why the engine cuts out when gas is applied? Sounds kinda funny but thank you veryyyyy much.

Also, my choke seems to lock down when applied and will not come up . It isnt supposed to come up when the engine turns over I guess but it just stays down and cuts off the air so the engine doesnt run..

you have to give it full throttle to release the choke.

-Ryan

Don Pflueger /

you need to tighten up the throttle cable. the chok should kickopen when you go full throttle.

Leslie Magyar /

I do give it full throttle, that much I do know..

I will tighten it and see...thank you again

silly question. have you adjusted that carb correctly. i'm finding 90% of the tim people aint adjusting them right. sounds easy but it takes a good ear

Don Pflueger /

the only adjustments on a dellortto are the throttle cable adjustment and idle speed screw. there are no mixture adjustments.

o.k. my bad. are the jets adjutable(up and down like some mikuni's)

Don Pflueger /

you can buy different jets, but they are not adjustable. only replaceable.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account